• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Question about Ram (DDR3 1600)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mean_dm

Does it matter which Ram I get to go in my new rig?

MSI GD-65 G3
460 GTX (x1 for now... for now...) 1gb
2500k i5

I ask, because I see some Ripjaw X 8gb (2x4g) for 29.99 shipped... But I am hesitant because I usually go with Corsair ram. Is it worth spending 25$ more for the same amount of Ram from Corsair for the Vengeance line?

I don't really do any benching. I don't mind showing off a bit and having friends drool though, either. I game and a little video editing (not much).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Last edited:
I'm also interested in this. I was thinking of paying $15 for the Gskill sniper 8GB over just regular Gskill 8GB... I mean there must be something in the product other than the looks right?

The snipers use higher quality chips over the original and ripjaw series. I have the 8GB set with the 7-8-7-24 timings and when I ordered them they were $120 on newegg and worth every penny. Very good timings for 1600 chips. Couldn't tell you about whether or not it would be worth paying more for corsair as they are a brand I will never invest in again, 2 dead sets of ddr and 3 sets of ddr2 in the past and each time wasn't a joy in dealing with suppport.

I forgot about running across this while comparing some options, it means nothing to my setup but you might find it useful.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gskill-sniper-8gb-cl7-ddr3-memory-review/1

I have Snipers and they don't overclock one bit. But that's not that bad considering memory speed is useless. Go get the cheapest RAM. 1600mhz is a good sweet spot and don't fall for timings or overclocking because even in quad channel it doesn't make a difference. Go get those Rip Jaws are better in my opinion from the looks, fine height and overclocking.

Thanks for the info guys. I grabbed an 8g kit of it. I'll look up and see if I can't set it up to where I can test for these kinds of things next go around!

Back