• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EdWh

Registered
From- EdWh :shock:

M/b Gigabyte X58.
Cpu Intel i7 Bloomfield 3.06mhz Intel turbo
Cooler. Cooler Master N520 Double Fan
Memory - Kingston Hyper 12600 Ddr 3 HyperX 6gb 1600
Asus Nvidia 250 video card 1mb
Case is cooler Master 690
Psu 750w.

I guess that most of it. I have overclocked the Hyper X to 3.36mhz and is stable. I really want 3.45mhz but will not remian stable actually shuts down. I used the smart 6 boost in windows for the overclocking except I set the profile 1 in the Bios manually, and raised the turbo to 24x which is max.

I purchased 12 gb ddr3 dimm 2000mhz pc3 16000 . Timing on this is 9-10-28 at 1.5 volts. I installed and it boots and runs fine at the base bclk of 1333 3.06mhz. However it will not overclock at all, shuts down windows even when it get through the Bios and that is at 3.22mhz overclock. I did notice that the memory speed is something like 1906 while the Kingston runs at 1680.

I am not sure this new memory is Hyper X and am new to overclocking and do not have experience figure it out. Can anyone advise the path to follow to get this memory to work at the mutiplier150mhz and 3.45 speed. I know this is a long post but its a lot of info. My temps run from 40 c to 70c. Under load, according to Occl. Thanks all.

Assuming a BCLK of 150, the x12 and x14 DRAM multipliers result in effective DRAM frequencies of DDR3-1800 and DDR3-2100. Enabling XMP Profile#1 in the BIOS to DDR3-2000 at the default 133 BCLK should have adjusted the DRAM multiplier to x14 = DDR3-1862. When you raised the BCLK to 150 via software w/ XMP enabled, the DRAM frequency increased to DDR3-2100 on the same x14 DRAM mult. When you bumped the BCLK to 140 via the BIOS, using the x14 DRAM mult. = DDR3-1960 (XMP Profile#1), the reason for the BSOD or no-boot was probably due to a lack of QPI/VTT voltage. Instead of enabling XMP manually adjust the four primary DRAM timings and DRAM voltage to their rated values at DDR3-2000, and adjust QPI/VTT voltage to 1.3-1.35V w/ the DRAM frequency at DDR3-1800. And instead of using software from in Windows to overclock, do your overclocking from within the BIOS.

Last edited:
Hi All, Thank you reduc900 for advise. I solved my own problem, machine is now running on new memory at 3.601. Ran occt small numbers (heat test, 100% load) for full 30 minutes. Highest temp is 85c after full 30 minutes.

The memory is not xmp, it is straight dimm. I disabled the profile 1 in the Bios and reset the cpu turbo down to 23x from 24x. I increased the software boost one step at a time and reached the 3.600 without changing voltages, let the software do the work. Am now clocked at 150mhz on cpu and all is well, but with only 15c to go to reach 100c, I believe would need additional cooling. I believe 530mhz is good enough, I would like to go to 160mhz but $300. cpu's are a little expensive to replace, at least for me.

Anyone interested in memory I bought it on ebay as komputer memory and paid $70. for 12 gb. I have also found on Internet others now selling same memory but higher in price. Thanks for all the help, and Merry Xmas to all. Ed.

Hi redduc900, Just a note to again say thank you for help. As I advised, I did do the overclocking with the smart 6 gigabyte software and machine is overclocked to 3.600 and working well.

However Please remember that myself and others like me are complete newby's to memory overclocking so to say the least I have no idea how to do the math to arrive at the conclusions you presented. But to try work out some of this I went into the Bios and checked the QPI/VTT voltage and it was set to 1.75 so I reduced it to your suggested 1.35 and it does make the boot cleaner, I had a couple of splash screens come up in the Widows loading that should not have and this appears to have fixed that.

On your running the memory at DDR-3-1800, I changed it and the Bios would not boot, black screen. After couple of cold reboots it let me back into the Bios and I reset it to the 1200 mhz and it boots fine. I agree it should be higher but the auto option sets it lower and it works. If you have another suggestion on this, will try, I do like learning but this is all new and takes time. For info the Vcore is 1.312 and the Dram 1.584 and this is 1.5 memory, ddr3. pc3, 16000. 2000mhz. Thanks again. Ed.

Assuming the current BCLK is 156 (156 x 23 = ~3.6GHz), change the DRAM frequency to DDR3-1872 (x12 DRAM mult.). Are you sure the rated timings aren't something like 9-10-9-24-1T at 1000MHz and 1.60-165V? Before changing the frequency and timings, post a pic. of CPU-Z open to the SPD tab. And it wouldn't hurt to post pic's of it open to both the CPU and Memory tabs also.

From- EdWh
Hi redduc900

The bclk is 150 x 24 = 3600. Turbo boost by 1.

My timing on memory is 8-8-8-22 T1 Memory at 1200 mhz. Attempted to set multiplier to X12, shut down no boot, had to cold boot to reset to auto.

I need link to send pictures for you, searched forums and homepage no results to proceedure. Thanks. Ed.

Hi Redduc900. I took 5 pictures you requested and attempted to upload via your attachments program but will not accept as all are jpeg over 2mb. I can attach to a email that is easy if you have a email I can send to. Ed. Thanks.

There are a number of different ways to do it, but these are probably the most common. Open 3 instances of CPU-Z, one open to the CPU tab, the other open to the Memory tab, and the last one open to the SPD tab. Next hit PrtScn, paste the image in Paint (Ctrl+V), then attach it to your post (Manage Attachments) as a JPEG. Another way would be to open 1 instance at a time, each one open to a different tab, then hitting Alt+PrtScn and pasting each open window in Paint separately. Once each image has been pasted into Paint, re-size each one so there's no white background showing, then again save each as a JPEG. This image for instance is only 85k in size...

Attachments

• CPU-Z.jpg
    CPU-Z.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 62
From- EdWh
Hi- redduc900

I cannot get my print screen to work, worked yesterday with Alt-prtscn but now fails completely. All else is ok. Memory is running at 1200mhz. Timing is 8-8-8-22-4-1T. Dram voltage is 1.584. Cpu core is 1.312 volts.
Mem-- dram freq 600.2 Fsb Dram 2.8. timing is. 8.0-8-8-22 Refresh 96-IT..
That is about all. I was using bios this is from Cpu0z. Would love to send my pictures but all are appx 2.4 mb, you accept only max. 2.0. Thanks. Ed.

Go ahead and disable / reset any software related overclocking options you previously set, and from this point on do all of your overclocking from within the BIOS. I'll post a 3.8GHz template for you to try, this w/ the RAM running at DDR3-1520, Turbo disabled, and all power-saving features disabled. These can all be re-enabled later, but for the time being concentrate on a stable 3.8GHz clock w/ the RAM running at a somewhat slower than rated frequency. For the DRAM timings and voltage, manually adjust them to match those shown under the XMP-2000 Timing Table on the SPD tab of CPU-Z (leave all the sub-timings set to Auto). This is assuming that only the DDR3-2000 is installed in a triple-channel config., without any of the DDR3-1600 modules installed.
Code:
CPU Clock Ratio............................: 20
CPU Frequency .....(Ghz)...................:3.8
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech..................:[Disabled]
CPU Cores Enabled..........................:[All]
CPU Multi Threading........................:[Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)....................:[Disabled]
C3/C6/C7 State Support.....................:[Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor........................:[Enabled]
CPU EIST Function..........................:[Disabled]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT.....................:[Enabled]
Virtualization Technology..................:[Disabled]

QPI Clock Ratio...........................:36
QPI Link Speed ......................(Ghz):6.84
Uncore Clock Ratio.........................:x17
Uncore Frequency......................(Mhz):3,230
Isochronous Support........................:[Enabled]

Base Clock (BCLK) Control.................:[Enabled]
BCLK Frequency (Mhz)*......................:190
PCI Exxpress Frequency (Mhz)...............:103

CPU Clock Drive (mV).......................:700
PCI  Express Clock Drive (mV)..............:700
CPU Clock Skew (ps)........................:0
IOH Clock Skew (ps)........................:0
Advanced Dram Features [Press Enter}
Performance Enhance........................:[Standard]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)............:[Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD).............:x8
Memory Frequency (Mhz).....................:1,520
DRAM Timing Selectable (sPD) ..............:[Quick]

LoadLine Calibration.........................:[Standard]
CPU Vcore....................................:1.29375v
QPI/VTT Voltage..............................:1.280v
CPU PLL......................................: 1.80v
PCIE.........................................: 1.50v
QPI PLL......................................: 1.10v
IOH Core.....................................:1.10v
ICH I/O......................................: 1.50v
ICH Core.....................................:1.10v
DRAM Voltage.................................:
DRAM Termination.............................: [Auto]
Ch-A Data Vref...............................:[Auto]
Ch-B Data Vref...............................:[Auto]
Ch-C Data VRef...............................:[Auto]
Ch-A Address Vref............................:[Auto]
Ch-B Address Vref............................:[Auto]
Ch-C Address VRef............................: [Auto]

From - EdWh

Hi redduc900

Running into some problems with profile in template.

ie- Qpi link. No 6.84 Max is 4.86.
Cpu freq, 3.8 cannot locate setting. Assume will be from bclk, at 190.
Pci Exp. Freq. 103 gives warning. Device may not work over 100 mhz.

Cannot locate timings under xmp 2000 from. Cpu-z. Cas, Cas#, Ras to Cas, Ras Pecharge, none of this shows in my Bios. Will keep looking. Thanks Ed.

What model of Gigabyte X58 board do you have? Also link to the exact 12GB kit of KHX DDR3-2000 you have.

Last edited:
From- EdWh

Hi- redduc900

My Gigabyte board is a GA-X58A-UD3R. Purchased 12/09/2010, I believe is revision 2 would have to open case to be sure.

The ram is Kumputer ram purchased from ebay-flashfaststore, 3 strips, 12gb
4x3 Ddr 3 Dimm 240 pin 2000mhz pc-3 16000. Says made in China but they all are, Purchased on 11/19/11, Everything on hold for now. Thanks. Ed.

From- EdWh
To- reduc900

I just checked my order and you can find the store in ebay search as Komputerbay memory in search box. I did not keep a link as it is in my ebay purchases. I have seen Komputerbay Memory at other sale sites also. Let me know what you find out and Thanks. Ed.

From - EdWh

Hi redduc900

Running into some problems with profile in template.

ie- Qpi link. No 6.84 Max is 4.86.
Cpu freq, 3.8 cannot locate setting. Assume will be from bclk, at 190.
Pci Exp. Freq. 103 gives warning. Device may not work over 100 mhz.

Cannot locate timings under xmp 2000 from. Cpu-z. Cas, Cas#, Ras to Cas, Ras Pecharge, none of this shows in my Bios. Will keep looking. Thanks Ed.
With a QPI Clock Ratio of x36 and BCLK of 190, the QPI Link Speed = 6.84GHz. CPU Frequency of 3.8GHz = 190 BCLK x 20. Don't worry about the warning for the 103MHz PCI-E frequency. CAS = CAS Latency Time, RAS# to CAS# Delay = tRCD, RAS# Precharge = tRP, and Cycle Time = tRAS. This is how those options are listed in your BIOS...
Code:
[b]Channel A, B, & C Standard Timing Control[/B]
Cas Latency Time...........................: 
tRCD.......................................: 
tRP........................................: 
tRAS.......................................:

From= EdWh
To- Redduc900

Thank for the message. The cpu-z confused me under memory tab it shows timings descriptions one way and under the spd it shows another description, I finally figured it out so can proceed. However I am going with the timings for the dimm 2000 as the timings under spd are for XMP 2000 and this memory will not run under profile 1 except in default 3.06mhz. Thanks again for all the help, if you do not agree, send quick message. Ed.

From- EdWh
to- redduc900

Hi 900. I just finished attempting your profile and exactly as you sent it, except I changed the memory timing to the 9-10-9-28 volt 1.5. Rebooted and failed. Rebooted twice more and notice came up that overclocking was effecting system and it reset all values to 3.06 default. If you think I should try the XMP values by cpu-z will give that a try next. Will wait for your reply. Thanks. Ed.

From- EdWh
To- redduc900

Yes- set at 1520 and failed. I just went through the Bios again and adjusted the ram to the cpu-z for XMP memory. 9-11-9-29-40. Volts 1.6. Failed again.
Only thing I notice is the original setting running at 3.07mhz cpu, the trfc was 86 and Xmp calls for 40 which I set it at.

Also the QPI/VTT on profile calls for 1.280 and closest setting is 1.275 which is where I set it. 500 mv lower next setting is I believe 1.295.

Any suggestions?? Ed.

What failed... Memtest or POST? Remove all but one stick of RAM installed to either the DDR3_1 or DDR3_3 DIMM slot, then reapply the above settings. The three modules should be currently installed to DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5.

Back