• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When can P3 take advantage of DDR?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

I think I remember reading somewhere that a P3 can begin to see benefits of DDR when running at or above 166FSB. Is this correct?

I have an 866 that will do 170 (or more) but it's not in my P3 DDR board. If I can get a performance boost, I may do some hardware swapping.

Even at that bus speed I doubt the difference would be anything to warrant any kind of expenditures.

As far as PIIIs go, I've not seen anywhere that anymore than a 5% increase in memory bandwidth has occurred over using SDRAM. Intel just doesn't seem to take advantage of DDR the way AMD does in my opinion.

Right, you'll only see a 5-8% increse with the DDR and a PIII rig.....so unless you are planning in getting a new mobo to use the new Tualatin core don't buy a PIII + DDR mobo.....or one like the one I have a dual PIII (Tualatin) + DDR.

I changed my WU crunching from 7.25 to 7.1 h per WU when I changed from my old mobo (an Iwill BD100+ with 440BX chipset) to the DVD266u-RN (Via Apollo 266T). I think this setup rocks but I well beyond the 4 h per WU limit.....

Go here if you want to see more of the DDR+PIII combo chipset.

Back