• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is DDR4 due for 2012?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pugsport

well i went into my local pc shop today and was going to order my 2012 motherboard, ram and pre order my my cpu but the guy in shp said that it would be worth waiting as DDR4 is coming out next year. as yet ive not ordered anything as i wanted to get some more info on if DDR4 before i buy anything

He is right...to an extent.

DDR4 is projected to come out next year, however for the initial costs it would not really be worth it. DDR3 was a huge step up from ddr2 but from what I have seen DDR4 seems incremental.

imo as with any tech the initial pricing will be ridiculous and will most likely stay that way 6-12 months after release. Just go with a DDR3 based system since DDR4 penetration will really come into effect in late 2013.

On a side note what components were you looking to buy?

With all delays that we have now I doubt that we will see DDR4 in next year. Intel had too many problems with latest chipsets and AMD .. well not really in plans for next year.

yer i guess now you have said about it when DDR3 came out it was awhile before it got to the stage where it was fast enough for the money to think upgrading to it.

Back