• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM clock problems, can't get stock clock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshhua5

Greetings,

I've just bought my AMD FX 8150 C: with a GA-990FXA-UD7 board and a lightly obsessive 16GB Corsair 1600MHZ (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9), but when i run the ram at 1600 I get an error which says system crash due to overclocking then I proceed to boot up at 1333, I'm not even at the point of overclocking and it crashes. Heat is NOT a problem as i even got myself a little ram cooler :3

MEM-copy: 11.2 GB/s
MEM-red : 9.5 GB/s
MEM-write: 8.1GB/s
latency : 81ns

CPU does overclock nicely and right now it's on 4GHZ waiting for a H100

Secondly I would like to turn off that seconds core in the module for heat and decode bottleneck reasons, but my BIOS doesn't have a feature (yet) so is there a way i can do this though windows for the whole system?

I am having the same problem. Just bought AMD FX-8150, GA-990FXA-UD3, updated to latest F5 BIOS and (4 x 4GB) G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866. The memory is advertised as 1.5v 9 CAS 9-10-9-28 timing and recommended for AM3+ Mobo. Here's what I had to do:

1) Remove 2 sticks so that only DDR3_1 & DDR3_2 are populated. (See Note 1)
2) Set BIOS as follows:
Set Memory Clock [Manual]
Memory Clock [x9.33] 1866Mhz
System Voltage Control [Manual]
DRAM Voltage Control [1.5000v]

DRAM Configuration
DDR3 Timing Items [Manual]
1T/2T Command Timing [2T]
CAS# latency [9T]
RAS to CAS R/W Delay [10T]
Row Precharge Time [9T]
Minimum RAS Active time [28T]
Row Cycle Time [35T]

Viola! DDR3 1866 reported at bootup and CPU-Z...

Note 1 - From what I've researched on this subject, Gigabyte fudged on their specs. To my knowledge, no one has been able to obtain 1866Mhz with 4 sticks of RAM. Reducing to 2 sticks however will do the trick - IF you manually set it up in BIOS. The on chip SPD settings are optimized for Intel... not for AMD. This is apparently why you set it up manually.

Back