• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microcenter - a so-so deal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I bought an open box PHII 970BE yesterday from Microcenter. I get home and find the CPU is missing 2 pins and has several other bent pins. It also still had the stock thermal paste on it - it looked as though it hadn't been cleaned up at all, and certainly no one opened the CPU box to see what the pins look like on the bottom.

So that sucked, but I called this morning, telling them I tried to solder and glue pins on but failed, and they aren't giving me any grief about exchanging it for a new 970 BE, although I will have to pay the $20 difference in price. Pretty annoying paying the difference as its 2 hours round trip to microcenter and I don't enjoy doing it 2 days in a row because they sold me something off the shelf that was obviously broken.

I understand open box is previously used, but there should be some level of inspection to ensure they aren't charging people for physically mangled parts.

That said, I do the majority of my shopping at microcenter and will continue to shop there. Usually I have no problems and the prices aren't too bad, but most importantly I can have the stuff in my hands right when I want it. :)

Back