• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thats way too hot. My AMD runs hotter than any other chip out there and I dont let it every get over 42c laod. You need a better HSF. Back that chip down to stock before ir burns down.

My P4 gets to about 55C after about 2 hours of Prime95. Idle is around 37C. I am not the least bit concerned. It is as stable as a rock and well below intel's max.

LarryJoe said:
My P4 gets to about 55C after about 2 hours of Prime95. Idle is around 37C. I am not the least bit concerned. It is as stable as a rock and well below intel's max.

Yeah well AMDs max is 90c, and I do not dare go near that. besides I have seen chips fry at 60c. Running at that high of tempatures really shortnes the life of the CPU. Besides if he is going to get better cooling, which is obviously needed, he might as well back down the o/c untill it comes.

{PMS}fishy - that's good info, but keep in mind that this is not a T-Bird. It does not look like you have a P4.

The Northwoods run really cool at default voltage, but once you go over about 1.65, you will see the temps increase substantially. I have no problem taking the risk and under normal condistions (gaming, video editing/encoding), my temps are usually still below 40C.

All this said, I agree, his temps are high and he should absolutely get a better HS/fan and some AS2. Intel's fan sucks under stress because it is only about a 2800 rpm fan.

But again, I have no problem with hitting 50C under extreme stress, like Prime95.

EDIT - woops, looks like you have a P4 1600. Northwood?

LarryJoe said:
{PMS}fishy - that's good info, but keep in mind that this is not a T-Bird. It does not look like you have a P4.

The Northwoods run really cool at default voltage, but once you go over about 1.65, you will see the temps increase substantially. I have no problem taking the risk and under normal condistions (gaming, video editing/encoding), my temps are usually still below 40C.

All this said, I agree, his temps are high and he should absolutely get a better HS/fan and some AS2. Intel's fan sucks under stress because it is only about a 2800 rpm fan.

But again, I have no problem with hitting 50C under extreme stress, like Prime95.

EDIT - woops, looks like you have a P4 1600. Northwood?

Yep I do have a P4 and it runs pretty cool. Im tryign to finish my AMD beofore I move onto another project. I know that a P4 is not a t-bird, all I am saying is even at higher voltages you still need to keep the chip cool. It doesn't matter to me what the temps are if its not o/c but once you begin to push it I dont like any of my stuff, especially the AMDs, over 45c at full load. But that me, everyone is entilted to there own opinions and can freely do what they fell is best for there computer.

LarryJoe said:
Turn it up to 1.75 and I guarrentee you will hit 50C+

Ok, it's only run Prime95 for about a half hour, but the temps aren't changing. It's about 48° C with the voltage averaging 1.76.
Time for someone to get a Swifttech HSF ;) ??

Here's the pic, but it's about 150kb (1024) and I didn't want to make it hard to read by shrinking it.

www.slottweak.com/images/P4/prime at 1.75v.jpg

I'll try it longer later on, but the initial blast from my furnace* is almost over. I doubt the temp will rise. Maybe go down now if anything.

*(my computer is over a baseboard heating unit. It's set to start warming the house at 6PM after staying cool all day while we're at work. It works hard for about 1 1/2 hours heating up, but then cools down because the house has reached temp at thermostat. So, I get extra heat at my computer at 6:30 AM and at 6 to 7:30 PM.)

primeat1.75v.jpg

This is it at 8PM, running about an hour. I made this pic as small as I dared. The temp has gone down to 47.

Here's my final decisions on running this 1.6.
1) Volt mod on mobo just to get true voltage in bios.
2) Voltage set to 1.5
3) Turbo dip switch set to 100.4Mhz (tested with sandra mem bench and it is an improvment)
4) Now using Alpha8045 modded to fit w/ASIII
5) Running 2133Mhz and PC1066mem
6) 60mm active cooling on chipset
7) Temps are 35.5C idle, 44.5C full load

Now I'm all set up for water cooling when I can afford it because I know the chip booted into windows at 2550Mhz.

Thanks for all the replies!

Update to this old thread.
I'm finally watercooled and this is what this chip will do at 1.9volts
running stable at full load 38C.

pRS317 said:
1.9v is a bit high. i'm only using 1.75v for 2.7ghz. have you tried lowering it?

The chip you have is performing better than mine because this is the max it will do at this voltage. My temps are low enough now at load to run this high though.

PMS Fishy,

you should be better informed before you start giving
"advice". The reason why you never saw temp readings above 42 C with your Athlon is that Athlons don't have a temp diode right inside the CPU die like Intels do. Athlon temps are measured for the outside, by a diode in the mobo's socket, and are grossly inaccurate. Or at the very least not comparable with Intel readings.

I have used a variety of Intel CPUs, including four P4s, and can safely say that up to 60-62 C is definitely OK for a Northwood. THis is also supported by Intel's own charts, which say that Northwoods can run at up to 66 C. Then again, I wouldn't like to reach that...

Just wanted to post my 2 cents, i've got a Northwood [email protected], my voltage is set at 1.65 and my temps at load are at about 56-57c's. I know seems kinda of high but it seems rock solid and have been running it fine for about 4months. Im using a alpha hsf right now, before i used a sunflower and my temps at load would reach 60c's which i was alittle scared about. How do you guys seem to get so low temps? Ive tried 3 different hsf's but my tempatures seem to never get lower then 55c's.

another weird thing i just noticed, your -5v rail is at -5.34 (in the 2nd pic), which is the same as mine...exactly the same. i'm also using the winbond hardware dr. is it a problem with the monitoring program, or is this normal.

i'm using the bd7r with an enermax 465....and you?

smokin9 said:
How do you guys seem to get so low temps? Ive tried 3 different hsf's but my tempatures seem to never get lower then 55c's.

So far this is the best air cooling I've found. Swifttech HSF, it's well made and does a great job, but at about $70, it's not cheap.

Back