• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canon Direct - Positive Experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonblingbling

It's not computer related, but I just had to 'rant' about having a great experience purchasing from Canon Direct.

I purchased a 'refurb' camera. However, this was not a 'open box' item that was simply repackaged; it looked immaculate. I'm not sure about the inner workings and what not (it is my first DSLR), but the body has zero signs of use, and it seems all the retail accessories are there.

Another thing that made the experience good was that I caught a good time when they were having a promotion. This reduced the price of the camera from $400 to $275 (finally within my price range), but also included some freebies, such as a camera bag, SD card, and tutorial DVD.

At the time, the SD card and tutorial DVD were out of stock, which was completely fine with me (not sure if I'll ever watch the DVD or use the 2GB card). Ordered the camera with bag, my invoice at checkout shows just the camera and bag, and the items ship. Shipping time was appropriate for the service I pay for. I receive the items, all is good.

Fast forward a month, I get a box from Fedex that I do not recognize. Inside, was the SD card and DVD that was part of the promotion with a letter apologizing for the delay of these free gifts. I found it great that they fulfilled their promotion, even though I was under the impression they had no obligation to.

tl;dr: I would recommend purchasing from Canon, especially if there is a promotion going on.

Canon has fantastic service, especially regarding dSLRs. I broke my old canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 lens last year, and it's been discontinued for quite a while now. I sent it into Canon's repair center, they repaired it like new for $120 or so (i think actually less). Shipping was extremely quick, and the lens literally looked brand new.

One thing I love about Canon is their allowance of selling any part for their cameras. If you have a service manual for one of their products, and you call the parts department with a part-number, they will sell it to you (pretty much at cost) with no questions asked. It's nice for DIYers like us :)

Glad to hear of other positive experiences. I am not sure if I'm comfortable enough to do DIY fixes (yet), but it's great to know that it's an option.

Back