• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Underclocked RAM out of box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkpyro1

So one of my friends just bought 8 GBs of G.Skill RAM. They're Ripjaws, not sure exactly which ones. But when he installed the RAM it was underclocked. When he goes into BIOS to clock it to the right speed, it's unstable, so we raised the voltage a bit, and now Windows is booting, but System Information for Windows is saying it's at the underclocked speed. I'm not sure if it's just S.I.W. or if it's actually still underclocked. I have a hard time believing the BIOS is lying to us, but I thought I'd ask what everybody thinks, 'cause I still don't know too much about RAM. :shrug:

Every RAM will make its 1st boot at standard SPD settings that are usually 1333 9-9-9 for any 1333+ memory kit. I don't know about which kit are we talking about but for example when your friend bought 1600 9-9-9-24 ripjaws then board will see it as 1333 9-9-9 as it's standard jedec profile. When you enter bios you have to set higher profile ( XMP ) or manually change clock and timings. On some boards voltage is lower than it should be and for higher clocks you may need to set higher memory controller or RAM voltage. XMP settings should include voltage change.

Woomack's right - the board will default to 'safe' settings for the RAM, and you'll have to adjust the settings to match the manufacturer's specs manually.

Ok, that sounds like it is probably the issue. I'll see if I can get a picture of CPU-Z in the Mem tab as soon as I can. Thanks for the help thus far!

Back