• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit st6 don't mix with aureal sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dillon5

I've tried my Diamond mx300 ( using the latest drivers from vortexofsound Aureal 8830) and I've tried an Aureal 8810 and no luck.

I get an error message - Vortex must use primary IDE slot or your sound blaster emulation, modem sound , and MP401 drivers will not load. Well that's as close as I can recall.

I've updated to latest bios of motherboard, got the latest INTEL 815EP drivers, latest and greatest DX8.1, and still no luck. - I keep getting error message. The sound card works, just cant use it for DOS games. ( I have'nt tried music yet )

I've noticed the signitures of the people here who have this mobo and they all seem to not list their sound card. Surely they all aren't using the onboard sound.

Anyone else have this problem? Got a solution?

By the way, I put in a Celeron 1000 A and it went to 1333 without a hitch. ( there was problems going any higher but that is another story )

I can't say I have a solution or the same problem, but I am using a SB Live as my soundcard on my ST6-R with the onboard sound disabled. I works fine in XP and Win2k.

Not much help here, but I thought I'd post just to say that PCI sound cards do work on it.

Vortex must use primary IDE slot

That sounds a bit strange though. I wouldn't think a soundcard had anything to do with IDE slots. Maybe I'm missing something here.

are you using a modem and sound all-in-one? cuz i had the same problem on both 60XET-C and ST6. I was having difficult with my diamond supra modem on my xet-c, so i installed that old all-in-one Aureal and v90 modem fused card in, in hoping it would work, but i got some strange message, just like you did. best advise, if you are using such a fued card, switch.

I fixed it !!!!

I put in a soundblaster Live 5.1 card !!!!

I don't know if it was the aureal card or because my Windows registry was fouled up, I ended up reinstalling Windows. If I could have started with a fresh formatted hard drive and a fresh install of Win98 it may ( or may not ) have worked.

I wish Aureal had made it , I really liked their sound cards. But I must admit I do like this Soundblaster card too.

Back