• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finding a the right Memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kio855

Registered
I have a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO and I was wondering if this memory is supported:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226203
How is the brand :D?
And Do I need that cas latency and timings for:
high-end gaming
some video editing
browsing and all that usual stuff.

Or should I go for a higher cas latency?

How much memory will all those tasks above need? Do i really need 8 gb? I don't want to get 8 gb when the system only requires/use 4 gb for all the tasks.

:confused:

I'm still trying to understand the cas latency a bit. In what situations would I need a cas latency and lower timing (7-8-7-24)? I know that DDR2 has lower timing, does that mean DDR2 is faster than DDR3?

Thanks for the quick reply Woomeck :santa2:

The higher speeds and bandwidth will overcome the slower latency. Plus the cycle times are faster on DDR3. DDR2 cycle times are 3ns - 1.9ns. The cycle times for DDR3 are 1.875ns - 1ns.

ns= nanosecond. Or one billionth of a second.

Lower latency is in theory faster but you won't see difference between CL7 and CL9 in daily work ( especially on new platforms ). Difference is visible almost only in benchmarks. That's main reason why I gave you link to CL9 kits that are noticable cheaper.
Memory speed is balance between latency and memory clock ... also can be limited by memory controller. So DDR2 is lower latency but also much lower clock than DDR3.

"Difference is visible almost only in benchmarks."
How much difference are we looking at?

1-3% depends from test. In games it's like 1-2 FPS ( when some games run at 100FPS+ ).

more ?'s

oh thanks guys :D sorry for not having all the questions in one reply. But PC3 speed, how much do computers use (high end games or video editing apps)? I seen like PC3 19 000 + do computers really use that much?

And I want to know a bit about overclocking ram. So if I buy a ram that has a timing of 9-9-9-24 is it possible to lower the timing with out lowering the clock or pc3 rate? For example can i lower it to 8-8-8-24? I know :facepalm: =_=

Is there a overclocking ram for dummies around here.. I mean guide. XD

Thanks in advance :thup:

Back