• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Newegg Issue - No Trust

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McGrace

Just posting my personal experience from Black Friday.

I purchased RAM from newegg on black friday. There were several other choices available at the time, none of which were sold out. On Sunday, I get an email from newegg saying that the memory I had purchased, and they had charged, was sold out and now on backorder.

They refunded the charge and cancelled the order. When they get it in later, I will be able to purchase it at full price.

I sent them an email to complain. My point is that if it was sold out and I had been properly informed, I had multiple options with newegg (not to mention other vendors) to make a purchase on Black Friday, but now I am essentially screwed due to their problem. By the time I was informed of the problem, the deals had been expired for two days. I asked that I be able to make that same purchase when in stock (rain check). Or maybe even some form of comparable deal on the memory that had NOT sold out. Even ANY sort of discount, not even a black friday level discount. Even 5 bucks off something... a token "sorry we screwed up but we can't give you the full discount but this is what we can give you".

No go. You can pay full price at a later date. Nothing rude or unprofessional, but a cold hard "we don't care, we get enough business anyways".

"Sorry, but no one is perfect and we are working on it" is the actual answer I got... (slightly paraphrased due to memory)

Oh yeah, to get that answer I had to go to live chat. They never responded to my email.

I've had similar issues with other vendors, particularly amazon, and they make amends immediately and without question.... which is why I have spent and will continue to spend with them.

My point: If there is a great deal on newegg and nowhere else, go for it. Why not? But if there is a comparable deal on another vendor site, take that option instead. You cannot trust newegg to handle things appropriately (I used to work customer service in a much more difficult environment, so I understand how to rectify issues professionally).

I understand your concerns, and I also don't agree with the way they handled your situation.

However, newegg's CS has always been top notch in my experience. I once bought two gift cards in the same amount by accident (had the wrong address in the first one, and changed it the second time), and they refunded my money for one of the cards no problem a couple days later when I let them know.

Sorry you had such a sour deal with them.

Yes, we've all had good experiences at Newegg in the past, but Newegg's customer service appears to be slipping.

I just purchased some ram lastnite and they charged my CC. This am I get the invoice and all that jazz. I hope they don't drop the ball because I will let them know about it. So far they haven't and I've recieved my stuff in a timely manner. Several times I got my stuff a day or 2 earlier :D

I just purchased some ram lastnite and they charged my CC. This am I get the invoice and all that jazz. I hope they don't drop the ball because I will let them know about it. So far they haven't and I've recieved my stuff in a timely manner. Several times I got my stuff a day or 2 earlier :D

I also bought some RAM on Tuesday night (after business hours) and got the invoice Wednesday morning. I always seem to get parts early from the egg, and this is no different. They are due to get here tomorrow night!

Bought a video card for my htpc on monday. Got it yesterday. Same service I've always gotten from newegg.

I agree that waiting that long to cancel an order (ESPECIALLY after charging your card) is bull. I would CALL and complain, tell them this practice is unacceptible and they should not be charging your card for items they do not have.

My guess is that their inventory system updates periodically, not in real time. So when a lot of people are buying the same item, there's a delay in the time it takes for the stock to change. They could run out before the next automated inventory update, which will result in these instances of "whoops". It may be too costly for them to change their inventory system to fix this which is why they're stuck with what they got, but it doesn't make it right or justify charging for goods they could never send.

I think people are missing the point. I can care less if they charge me for something they don't have then refund it. That's no harm no foul territory.

The foul is that it was special pricing. There are other alternatives. Had I known this one was out of stock, I'd have picked another alternative.

I am even ok with it being out of stock and them biffing it.

With that happening:
They should have: kept it as a backorder at that price or allowed me to purchase what was one of the alternate deals at the prior pricing... it was their error, not mine so the loss should be theirs.

Yeah, I understood exactly what you were saying man. And that is unacceptable IMO. They could have at least offered you a rain check for when it got back in stock or offered an alternative kit of ram at better pricing, comparable to the deal they were running on the ram you ordered.

And Pinky, I know that in the past, Newegg did have real time inventory on their stock, from trying to order multiple items and they wouldn't add but a certain amount to the order. And this was below their order limit for the item.

What's worse, I sent an email. No response. I chatted with someone else who said they would elevate it. No response. A lot of their customer service is now just "We will get back to you, but not really".

I'll still buy from newegg if they are by far cheaper, but only if... If another vendor is remotely close they will get my business.

Has anyone considered that they cannot sustain such a business model and survive? Anyone wonder if the beloved newegg won't be here in a year?

Well the ram I ordered on Thursday arrived today via USPS. I'm happy for that, but I'm not happy that when I ordered it the price was $74.99. When I checked again on Saturday it had dropped to $64.99 :rolleyes:

Well the ram I ordered on Thursday arrived today via USPS. I'm happy for that, but I'm not happy that when I ordered it the price was $74.99. When I checked again on Saturday it had dropped to $64.99 :rolleyes:
I've heard of this happening to people before. You could try calling or emailing them with the information about this, and you might get a $10 gift card or something.

Worth a try.

I am a software developer who has done multiple inventory systems. Like for all of Kroger (2000+ supermarkets). It's not that hard to have a real-time inventory system, especially when you don't have a store.

They simply miscounted their inventory (regardless of software, people still need to count what you got by hand, rf ain't what it was supposed to be). It's their mistake, not mine, so why is it my problem, not theirs...

I'm beginning to feel the same way about newegg. They seem to have steadily raised their prices above the competition and I keep hearing stories about how their customer service is getting worse and worse. I don't really care how the company functions when things go as planned, what matters is how they react when things go south. Like most of you, I've had good experiences in the past, but I usually buy from amazon now. I have never had a bad experiences with them and their prices are very competitive (usually better for the items I have bought). I also have an amazon prime account so I get $4 overnight shipping :D.

Just for kicks and giggles, I just looked at Newegg's 6 month rating at Reselleratings.com. And if you look at the link you will see a definite dropoff in overall ratings, with December showing a definite dropoff to below 9 in overall customer satisfaction. And pretty much a steady decline in all categories over the last 6 months.

I don't know what is going on at Newegg, but this doesn't look good to me.:(

Thanks for the link Mudd...

Just a note december just started so to use that information now is a bit premature. It still may continue to trend that way but we'll know better in 25 days. Not to mention the volume this month is MUCH larger than the remainder of the year I would imagine.

I see this trend but IMO, people are making this out to much more than it really is. Especially considering ONE occurence that people are constantly complaining about. Like I said, out of nearly 20k in purchases I have no horror stories. So I would still bet, according to those stats I was about right, that 95% of people will have a great experience all around with newegg.com

Yeah, I know that December has just started, plus it is following the busiest part of the year for buying too, ED. But I've been going through, looking for negative or amended reviews and have been seeing more and more posted that had problems in the ordering or delivery process. To Newegg's credit, it looks from the amount of amended reviews that they are still trying to please the customers that had unsatisfactory experiences with them, but it also looks like there are also more problems over all. And I find trends such as this to be very troubling for a store that I buy so much stuff from. Like you, I have bought a crapload of stuff from the Egg ($30K+) over the years and would hate to see them lower themselves to the level of TD or Buy.

I imagine a lot of this has to do with the fact they they have started selling sink faucets, patio furniture and cubic zirconia jewelry in addition to computer hardware-related products during the last year. There has to be a reason they thought that would be a good idea...

Just received an email for a $15 discount from my next order. I checked the current price of the memory, and that would bring the purchase price just about down to where it was on Black Friday.

I honestly still have a bad taste in my mouth, but coming from a customer service background myself, the ultimate resolution is fair. Having never had to deal with retail, especially during the holidays, I can't judge their response and time.

I can't give them an enthusiastic thumbs up, but I can go back to cautiously recommending them as a vendor to clients. Grudgingly. Hate being honest.

Back