• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Timing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LegolasElf

Gentlemen,

Noob question. I bought the G.Skill 2x4GB 1600 with timing of 8-8-8-24. In BIOS everything is set to AUTO and I am getting a timing of 11-11-11-28 at 800MHz. Why exactly does timing default to something other than what the memory has been set by the manufacturer? The system is stable with the 11-11-11-28 timing. I am not planning to do any overclocking yet. Any reason why I should force timing to be at 8-8-8-24?

Last edited:
Memory will usually default to safe timings to ensure that the system can boot. You should use BIOS settings to manually set the memory to the manufacturer's timings.

Best will be to run memory with 1st XMP profile, check what you have in bios ( or in system like AIDA64 or other soft ), write it down and later or keep XMP or set the same timings manually.

G-Skill almost always needs to be manually set in the BIOS from what I see. As stated above I think it is a safety thing so people can boot with it.

G-Skill almost always needs to be manually set in the BIOS from what I see. As stated above I think it is a safety thing so people can boot with it.

all depends on if the ram has XMP timings as well as a XMP bios... if either one of those isnt the case then it wont default to that... and typically XMP is turned off in the bios.

OP id be willing to bet your set o ram has XMP timings just given the fact its probably a higher end due to cas 8 @ 1600mhz... look inside your bios and see if there is any setting entitled XMP.

EDIT- if your sig has the hardware your talking about i can almost guarentee both ram and mobo are xmp compatible... it should be as easy as finding the setting in the bios and turning it on... walla 8-8-8-24 @ 1600mhz.

Back