• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer won't boot after shutdown with XMP profile

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kj17

This is probably a common issue but I couldn't find an answer to this. I just enabled the XMP profile for my ram and it boots up fine and runs stable the first time but if I shut it down it won't boot again until I reset the bios. Is there anyway to fix this?

Ah, sorry, I thought it might have been common enough that it'd happen regardless of system specs.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2132289

Not currently using XMP profile so that it boots reliably.

I'm personally leary about these so called XMP profiles that Asus has in their BIOS; I know that on this Z68 board when you change to XMP it has a known bug that sets the cpu voltage to 1.7v, boots and almost immediately kills the CPU.

So I would just do things by hand and leave this alone.

I'm personally leary about these so called XMP profiles that Asus has in their BIOS; I know that on this Z68 board when you change to XMP it has a known bug that sets the cpu voltage to 1.7v, boots and almost immediately kills the CPU.

So I would just do things by hand and leave this alone.

I was under the impression that XMP profiles are defined by the memory not by the MB? I did try adjusting it manually but with the same result, initially ran fine but wouldn't boot after a couple restarts/shutdowns.

I was under the impression that XMP profiles are defined by the memory not by the MB? I did try adjusting it manually but with the same result, initially ran fine but wouldn't boot after a couple restarts/shutdowns.

Could very well be; I've always prefered the manual touch so I haven't bothered to pay attn; however the bug I stated before is very real. That said your cold booting issues are likely to be a configuration issue of the board and not so much the RAM unless its pushing errors out in memtest

I dont know what board you use but there are well documented cases of Z68 boards using PLL overvoltage causing cold boots similar to what you're describing. If you have it on try turning it off.

Back