• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What RAM should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nah, that just means that the motherboard has multipliers to support that speed.

You can put that really fast RAM and it'll probably work if you put a Bulldozer chip in it, but fast RAM equals pretty much zero real world performance gain. Like 1-2FPS at MOST.

Memory multi will end on 1866 ( x9.33 ) and to make anything higher you have to overclock FSB.
On this platform anything above 1866 is waste of money.
All memory bandwidth base on CPU-NB frequency and it's 2200MHz for FX. To make it easier to understand 2500MHz CPU-NB + 1600MHz RAM can be faster than 2200MHz CPU-NB and 1866MHz+ RAM.

oh I didn't know the pc had something to do with it as well.

I plan to put in a AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma until I need 8 cores down the road. Its just a gaming rig but I would like to oc it as much as possible.
I didn't want the RAM to hold me back.

I'm also getting a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO to help. If I can get 3.7GHz or 3.8GHz on 4 cores, I'll be happy.

So to save some money, I should just get some 1600 RAM?

It's hard to set 1866+ on Phenom II anyway. 1333-1600 is optimal for PII and 1866+ is almost only for Bulldozer because of better memory controller ( doesn't mean that much faster ;) ).
1600 RAM is good idea as it's quite cheap and offers good performance.

+1 to Woomack, 1600 is pretty much the best speed to get in terms of price/performance. 8GB can be had for $40-$45 :).

unless you go the Zambeze route, 1866 is the fastest you want to get....

set HTT to 233, ram on 1600 divider, pick your x, very easy to run the 1866 with all banks occupado and at rated v, 1.5...you do have to set some mem timings manually in da bios, Pretty common with current AMD boards.....

I also have 16gig of Gskill ripjaws 1600 stuff that I tested then replaced with 16gig 1866, no problem with 16gigs with either set...

laterzzzzz...........

Last edited:
Back