• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to 2700k now or Bulldozer later

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PoGo.

First things first, current rig:
CPU: Phenom X6 1090T (Antec Kuhler 620 Push/Pull)
Mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70
Mem: 4x2GB DDR3 1600
GFx: 2 x XFX 6870 2GB Crossfire
HDD: 120GB Intel 320 SSD / 2x640GB Caviar RAID0
PSU: Rosewill 1000W
and all your expected goodies (dvdrw, 120mm fans, usb devices, etc)

The dilemma i find myself in is, i have been a long time AMD faithful...actually, every computer iv built for myself has been AMD (Athlon 750, Athlon 2400+, Athlon FX-55, Opteron 185, Phenom X4 955, Phenom X6 1090t) But i recently had an Intel i7-2700k fall into my lap. Before this happened i was looking to upgrade my motherboard to a 990FX chipset for the Bulldozer chipset(down the line). Now i am having a hard time deciding if i should switch my current board for a 990FX and sell the i7 (with plans of getting a bulldozer eventually) OR switch my current board for P67 and sell my 1090T. As my list of CPU upgrades shows, i tend to upgrade mobo/cpu every 3-4 yrs and prior to receiving this i7 i was going to upgrade mobo now and wait for Phenom X8 or equivalent. Regardless of which way i go (P67 or AM3+) i wont be looking to upgrade my motherboard again for another 3-4 yrs.

So, keeping in mind the above posted system, basically throwing price out the window and looking for the best gaming and overall performance i can get from these options:

Should i go P67 now/i7-2700k now OR go 990FX now/Phenom X8 later (or equivalent)?

Side thought, out of curiosity, is there any situation a 990FX/1090T would meet/beat a P67/2700k?

Last edited:
If you already have the 2700k, then definitely go with that solution. Get a nice Z68 motherboard and reuse everything else in your system. Then, you'll have an upgrade path to Ivy Bridge later on if you want to go that route :)

I would say wait for the rumored scheduler updates to windows before making a decision.

Keep that 2700k and go with it. Loyalty is nice and all, but they don't care about you. Go with the 2700k..

If you already have the 2700k, then definitely go with that solution. Get a nice Z68 motherboard and reuse everything else in your system. Then, you'll have an upgrade path to Ivy Bridge later on if you want to go that route :)

See, this is where my ignorance for Intel chipsets comes into play. I thought the only chipsets capable of Crossfire were P55, P67 and X58 and the only one of those that fits LGA1155 was P67.

http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImag.../WebBannerJPEG/AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpg
I found this chart on amd's crossfire website and its honestly my only reference, so i can understand if it just needs to be updated(it doesnt even list the amd 990 chipsets).

GoD_tattoo said:
Loyalty is nice and all, but they don't care about you.

You mean they dont have my face on a plaque that says Best Customer Ever? :cry: :rofl: Its never really been about the loyalty so much as the price, and getting this 2700k for free (raffle) kind of negates that issue. I have a 2nd Gen i5 in my laptop and its really what opened me up to Intel. I originally had an i3 but returned it when the i5 went on sale cuz the i3 was depressingly slow.

P55 is an LGA1156 chipset, X58 is a LGA1366 chipset.

Chipsets for LGA1155 are H67, P67, and Z68. H67 is onboard video + no OCing, P67 is overclocking + SLI/CFX, Z68 is everything + SSD cache + Virtu encoding.

Since Z68 boards aren't all that more expensive then P67, most people just go with P67 boards. You'd also want a GEN3 board for PCIe 3.0 support for future video cards.

That being said, you still probably have QUITE a bit of life in that 1090T. You could sell the brand new 2700K for close to retail price (if you sell it for a bit cheaper then the retail for a 2600K, someone should grab it really quickly) and wait until Ivy Bridge to upgrade.

See, this is where my ignorance for Intel chipsets comes into play. I thought the only chipsets capable of Crossfire were P55, P67 and X58 and the only one of those that fits LGA1155 was P67.

http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImag.../WebBannerJPEG/AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpg
I found this chart on amd's crossfire website and its honestly my only reference, so i can understand if it just needs to be updated(it doesnt even list the amd 990 chipsets).

You mean they dont have my face on a plaque that says Best Customer Ever? :cry: :rofl: Its never really been about the loyalty so much as the price, and getting this 2700k for free (raffle) kind of negates that issue. I have a 2nd Gen i5 in my laptop and its really what opened me up to Intel. I originally had an i3 but returned it when the i5 went on sale cuz the i3 was depressingly slow.

I lol'd at this.
I run AMD for OC'ing in my desktop, and intel in my laptop. AMD runs hotter, Everyone has some specialty.
Go with the intel, save some $ to spend on your car lol:thup:

I have always gone with AMD. The 4 systems I've built have been AMD, and I have several friends that go with AMD.
But, if I already had a 2700K, I would sell my AMD cpu/motherboard/ram and go with Intel.

Go with the intel, save some $ to spend on your car lol:thup:

Howd you know i need to put money into my car? :shock: short answer...its a car :rofl:

I think right now i am going to go with the Z68/2700k, and i will probably end up going back to AMD in a few years when i do my next build, unless Ivy Bridge has come down a considerable amount by then.

Back