• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I combine 4GB with 8GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fabl10

Hello Overclockers.com Community!

Can I combine 2 sticks of 2GB with 2 sticks of 4GB?
And, is there even a noticeable difference between 8GB and 12GB?
I currently have: G.Skill 2x2GB (1333 MHz, 240-pole) DDR3-RAM CL9

I'm planing to get either the same or: G.Skill 2x4GB (1333 MHz, 240-pole) DDR3-RAM CL9

What I am doing on my PC? Mainly Gaming and Video-Editing.

My system:
630W Antec HGC
Gigabyte GTX 570 GLH
MSI 770-C45 (I know, not the best)
AMD Phenom II 970 (Not the best either)

Thanks in Advance,
fabl10

Chances are it will work, but, there is also a chance they wont play nice together. I wouldnt bother. Just get the 2x4GB and sell the 2x2GB.

Unless you are using 8GB of ram you wont notice when you have 12.

Is there a difference between 4x2GB and 2x4GB?
Because, it would be cheaper to just get the extra 2x2GB instead of selling them and buying 2x4GB.

i would just buy another 4gb (2x2) kit myself... unless as stated you KNOW your gonna need more than 8gb for your files....

Oh, Sorry, I didn't understand the sentence "Unless you are using 8GB of ram you wont notice when you have 12." at first, English is not my main language.

I think because rendering in programs like After Effects uses much Memory, the 4GB extra are worth it.

Thanks for your help.

Well, just at the moment I am using 2,8 GB and if I'm rendering stuff it uses up to 4GB Ram, too. If I'd get +4GB I could just do multiple stuff at the same time like rendering, gaming, maybe watching a video (Multi-Tasking ftw :D). At the moment if I render something my PC is unuseable.

You wont be rendering and gaming at the same time...

I would just stick with 8GB and if you use more, get more.

Rams are dirt-cheap atm. Why not?
Things fly faster in general for having more memory for my usage.

yeah if your using 4gb to render, then another 4 is gonna be PLENTY IMO.... that being said if you find an amazing deal go for it, but i would not spend on 12gb just to say u have 12, 8 gb is a ****e ton of ram...

Back