• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial/Micron DDR - ECC or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rlbewick

Registered
Well, here it goes.
I'm running an ABIT KG7-RAID with a T-Bird 1.4. 512MB Kingston ECC-Registed memory. Looking at the Crucial PC2100 512 module for it's stability & overclock ability. Does it matter if I use the ECC/Registered memory module? Will I get better performance with the unbuffered memory?:burn:

ECC RAM is slower then normal RAM
it is not made for speed, but rather stability, and reliability.
You may have problems running ECC memory with non-ECC memory... either way you will have to disable error correction in your BIOS once you have a stick of non-ECC in your rig.

Personaly i would stay away from ECC RAM as it is more $$$ and a tad bit slower.... That is unless you really need ECC, but if you dont... dont waste your time with it.

I asked Crucial about 512 MB DDR (I have a message on this board waiting for an answer).

Crucial replied that there are compatibility issues with 512 MB ECC and ABIT boards. I specifically asked about KR7A so you might want to send them an email. They replied within the day on my question.

If you OC, I suggest non ECC/Unbuffered.

Cheers,
F

ECC isn't really meant for overclocking, as was said, it is made for stability and reliability at stock speeds. Unless your running a serious server there is no need for it, especially in a home box. I wouldn't recommend mixing the two if you plan to overclock, I doubt you'll get very far.

I think its the other way around, you can run regular memory with ECC on in the BIOS but you have to turn it on with ECC RAM. I know that sounds backward but that's what I read.

I wouldnt recommend ECC either. As far using the Abit KG7, if you will fill all three slots with memory, you will need registered ram, so plan ahead.

Back