• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Part quandary on laptop DDR3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
First part is which IC's would you look for, for example hyundai.

Second are the SPD programing i assume is going to be the same table for desktop ram. which program or method would be a good way to go to modify the SPD table to add XMP profiles.

Reason is im looking at a mobile ITX motherboard that has the option to choose which profile to use in the SPD table, along with the option to increase DRAM voltage. although highest supported ram speed is DDR3-1333, the wonder is how possible to find a set that will run that speed with cas6 timings.

does the board not support memory timings at all?
you may be able to change the timings via "cpu tweaker" not sure what board or chip you have though.

I have heard stories of people flashing new spd info, but that would suck if y ou flashed and the new timings werent able to boot. I will try and investigate the flashing part.

So wait.. you cant manually set the timings in the bios so you are looking to modify the SPD tables of the ram? I really dont know if an end user can do that...

I would imagine if that mobo has bclk/fsb controls that you can just raise the memory speed there, if not the natural way with multipliers.

does the board not support memory timings at all?
you may be able to change the timings via "cpu tweaker" not sure what board or chip you have though.

I have heard stories of people flashing new spd info, but that would suck if y ou flashed and the new timings werent able to boot. I will try and investigate the flashing part.
it is the 3 rig in my sig, have used cpu tweaker but can can not change the first cas option. what i get is 7-6-6 i would like to be able to set it to 6-6-6.

So wait.. you cant manually set the timings in the bios so you are looking to modify the SPD tables of the ram? I really dont know if an end user can do that...

I would imagine if that mobo has bclk/fsb controls that you can just raise the memory speed there, if not the natural way with multipliers.

Right no option in the bios to set the timings manuall, just reads SPD profiles. the second board im looking to get socket G2 based allows the selection of profiles to be used, im assuming there are XMP profiles out there for so-dimms. the options i do have in both board G and G2 will be dram voltage. i could there for use the stock timing table for DDR3-1333 boot up then tell it to use the xmp profile for tigher timings and increase dram voltage.

i have read over at xs, this guy here makes SW to allow programming of SPD profiles as well as adding in XMP profiles and NV type ram profiles.

since both boards are more for industrial and are mobile based board, they offer no BCLK adjustments.

i think i may just break down and by the program, $20 isnt so bad.
http://www.softnology.biz/

*EDIT*
one thing i havent been able to tell is, are the DDR3 ic's the same on SO-DIMMs as on the desktop parts.

I believe so. its just the form factor that makes it a SO DIMM I believe.

That application changes all sorts of ram its seems. Thats neat.

yea the guy started a thread on it along time ago, back in 08 or 09. mainly for laptops/sff's using so-dimms. they dont make ones with lower cas timings, i did find some kingstons with cas6 but they wanted double the price for a 2x4gig kit. i figured since i got a deal on some 2x2gig kits in the classies a while back i would try moddin those first. as the 3 rig's motherboard/cpu only supports DDR3-1066, im sure they could make tighter timings for it then cas 7. if i recall right the board supports all the way up to 1.8v on the dram option in bios. that gives me a lot of room, right now im thinking with a bump to 1.55-1.65 i should be able to get cas 5 out of it if lucky. as according to the jdec spec DDR3-800 can be as tight as cas 5, i guess im just hoping to sqeeze that out of DDR3-1066. that is since i cant use any higher speed ram then that,. then i would need to mess with the 2x4gig DDR3-1333 so-dimms.

i scored 2 2x2gig kits in the classies for the same price as a 2x4gig kit. just to bad the boards only have 2 dimm slots.

Back