• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Incompadibility?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxicsock

Registered
Hi there! I just recently ordered all my computer parts and put it together. The problem is that once i boot up the system, there is no signal on the monitor. I'm probably thinking it is my RAM. Here is my build

Motherboard: MSI 990XA-GD55 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

PCU: AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I'n thinking it's my RAM mainly because it says "Designed for the 2nd generation Intel Core Processor family and the Intel Z68 & P67 platforms"

Any help/suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Usually if its the ram you get blue screen or crash to bios. I would suggest reseating your ram/video card, download the latest bios for your motherboard and put it on a flash drive. Also go in and manually set everything dont use auto config.

That's just a marketing gimmick. If your board wasn't recognizing the memory, it'd usually put out a sequence of beeps.

However, don't rule it out for sure, it could be anything. First of all, unplug all hard drives and take out one of the sticks of RAM.

If you're computer is turning on and staying on, your PSU is probably fine. It still could be the PCIe rails on the PSU, you can check voltage with a multimeter, but I'm not sure what else you could do.

Typically if your computer actually POSTed (got into the preOS stuff) fine, then it should emit a single, short beep. That means your CPU and RAM are probably fine as well.

My money's on the video card, but it could be a number of things. I'll feel bad for you if it is, Sapphire outsources their RMA department to some notoriously bad company...

Wait, do you mean that the monitor never gets signal or that you can get to the BIOS and stuff, but after that nothing shows up?

Thanks for the help guys. I found the problem, boy did i feel dumb. I forgot to plug in an 8-polig connector onto the Mobo..... Everything works fine now. In fact, im using it right now as I type this. Thanks for these suggestions though, I will definitely keep them in mind as I make more computers.

Back