• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16gb or 8 gb of ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rustyfender

so heres the deal im building a new comp and its gonna be amd AM3+ prolly a 1090T. on a asus sabertooth 990fx. now im pondering whether to go with 16GB of ram or 8Gb. it will be corsair vengance 1600mhz with the 9-9-9-24 timings. i know whith the amds they are still dual channel so if i use 4 dimms i get 1/2 the speed so id need to oc but i use this thing for 3d building design media and some gaming.

would i notice the difference if i spent the extra $$ on the extra 8 gigs. im of the opinion that i wouldnt

4 DIMMs is still dual channel, so it's not even half the speed.

90% chance you'll be fine with 8GB unless you're duing HUGE building designs.

Btw, the $50 extra to go to a 2500K build is probably worth it, unless there's another reason you're sticking to AMD?

Go with what knufire said 4 gb is more than enough 8gb is futer proofing and 16 is over kill and yea go with intel amd is backing out of the cpu wars so there will be more hassel going with intel get a forwards compatible mobo and if it gets slow up grade to IB

It's basically settling at AMD commanding the lower end (their APUs/960T are extremely competitive), while Intel has the high end (2500K/2600K stomps Bulldozer on efficiency), and the midrange is sort of up for grabs (Midrange SB's aren't overclockable and the old AMD hexas are still pretty decent CPUs).

I think it's a case of: if you're asking the question you probably don't need more memory. 6/8GB is fine for most things, even a lot of high memory applications nowadays.

Then again I got 12 over 6 because it cost me about 10% more.

rlly the only reason im sticking with amd is cause my waterblock (swifttec apogee GT) wont fit a 1155 also the motherbords cost so much more

You'd end up with a faster system if you went intel, even if it means getting a cheaper board. Also, considering how cheap memory is, I'd go with 16 gigs. Provided you're running W7 x64, the memory manager is very good about caching frequently used and recently accessed files to RAM so you will see a performance increase.

Back