• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Vengeance ver2.12 or ver8.16?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo668

I got some Vengeance ram today. At the shop they showed me 2 sets of 2x4GB Vengeance ram. Both were DDR3 1600 but one set was ver2.12 and the other was ver8.16. After much deliberation I bought ver8.16 as the number was higher which must mean it was newer.

After checking around now I find that ver2.xx uses Elpida IC and ver8.xx uses Nanya IC. Never heard of Nanya before. Neither have I heard of Elpida. But it seems that Elpida is a much sought after IC for ram.

I haven't opened the box yet and can still change to ver2.12 tomorrow if it is worth it. What do you guys think? Should I change it? Or stick with the ver8.16 I have now? Thank you for any advice.

They will both perform to the advertised specifications and have a lifetime warranty against any defects in workmanship. Knowing this, does it matter which IC's are on there? Nanya, IMO, is just fine.

Thank you Sean. I thought that Elpida might be of better quality and so will OC better. But then that would be a waste on me. I'm going to open the box after I send off this post.

BTW, do you really work for OCZ? I wish there were more people like you on the OCZ Forums.

Thanks again Sean.

I've got a similar problem. I bought two sticks of memory, but each came with different versions 2.12 and 8.16. Can I use both at the same time?

Hi Andre.

I saw the thread you started on the Corsair Forum. I replied to your post informing you that different version numbers meant the chips used were from different chip manufacturers. And you know what. They censored (deleted) my post. I wonder why? :confused:

That was my second post that got censored and I never said anything critical about Corsair or their products. Corsair loves to censor, don't they?

BTW, can you return 1 stick so that you will have 2 sticks of the same version? I think that would be a better solution. With 2 different versions you have 2 sets of chips that were manufactured differently. This might lead to compatibility problems.

Thank you Sean. I thought that Elpida might be of better quality and so will OC better. But then that would be a waste on me. I'm going to open the box after I send off this post.

BTW, do you really work for OCZ? I wish there were more people like you on the OCZ Forums.

Thanks again Sean.

He does, a couple other companies have reps that check around here at OCF every once in a while. :)

hahahahaha neo668, no problems. I appreciate the help because I do not know much about informatics, as I am building a new configuration, I'm researching a lot and I ended up running into this problem of the corsair. Anyway, I'll test them, and if by chance there is a problem I post here. Thank you again.

Hello, I tested the system after a long time, and version 8.16 had memory problems and when I use the two ends up creating conflicts and memory dump. Using only the version 2.12 I can use my system normally, thank you for attention.

FYI. With V8.xx (Nanya chips) I could not run my system at 1600. I RMA'd them and got V5.xx (Hynix chips) in return. They now run excellently at 1600 without any problems.

FYI. With V8.xx (Nanya chips) I could not run my system at 1600. I RMA'd them and got V5.xx (Hynix chips) in return. They now run excellently at 1600 without any problems.

Hynix is great normally...
I used to have some generic Hynix sticks that were rated as ddr400 but could do ddr500 without touching vdimm...and also I could tighten timings a lot without breaking a sweat.

Back