• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading ram. Any advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eXiale

Registered
Hey,

As title says.
Atm i'm using CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1333mhz 9-9-9-24
and I want to upgrade it, v and s.

Options: (to buy)

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1333mhz 7-7-7-21 _1.5V
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600mhz 7-8-7-24 _1.6V

I know 1600mhz cl7 is the right choice but if someone could explain me about CL timing and mhz. what is the point to get one faster then 1600mhz - mobo sup. max 1600mhz
Sample if i want to upgrade it with: -G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 2133mhz 9-11-10-28 _ 1.65V will be down clocked right? othat will run it, just need to apply speed manually?

Regards,

Exi

Any reason for the upgrade? RAM speeds don't really make a straight difference in performance for most tasks, but if it's bottlenecking your overclock, then you'd want some new RAM.

Whether or not you'll be able to run high speeds (2000+) depends on the quality of your memory controller (which i THINK is on the CPU for LGA1156). Either way, it should be able to run it but you might need to bump a voltage (VTT, I think?). It'll take a little tweaking, you have to manually set it.

Back