• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64GB on asus rampage iv and RamDisk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1safel

Hi guys, i've ordered all my components for my new system including i7-3960x and an Asus rampage IV except for the memory

i want to install 64GB of ram and 48GB of the ram will be as a RamDisk
i wan't to get 2x8GB with frequency of 2400
and the rest 6x8GB as 1600
if i set the 1600 sticks as a RamDisk will this still affect the operating speed of the 16GB 2400?

i though about this because of the huge price difference between the 1600 and 2400 kits

It depends on the motherboard bios whether you can setup the memory as you wish.

Also, the software you use the create the ramdisk, may more then likely not allow you to specify what area (memory address range) of ram to use to create the ramdisk.

If you can afford it, your best bet would be to just use all the same exact type of ram to keep things simple.

Going all 1600MHz would be my recommendation. Very few things actually benefit highly from fast RAM, and I believe that the board won't set different sticks at different speeds. At the BIOS level they'll all be downclocked to the same.

It depends on the motherboard bios whether you can setup the memory as you wish.

Also, the software you use the create the ramdisk, may more then likely not allow you to specify what area (memory address range) of ram to use to create the ramdisk.

If you can afford it, your best bet would be to just use all the same exact type of ram to keep things simple.
That is what i want to do in the first place.Thx for the replay.

Going all 1600MHz would be my recommendation. Very few things actually benefit highly from fast RAM, and I believe that the board won't set different sticks at different speeds. At the BIOS level they'll all be downclocked to the same.

so there isn't that much difference between 1600 and 2400?

the thing is
G.Skill DIMM 64 GB DDR3-1600 Octo-Kit = 799 Euro
G.Skill DIMM 64 GB DDR3-2400 Octo-Kit = 3199 Euro!!!

Not much difference performance-wise. But the faster you get it's a LOT harder to manufacturer and therefore a lot more expensive.

One of the places where fast RAM offers substantial benefits is benchmarking, who are willing to pay that much too. :)

Not much difference performance-wise. But the faster you get it's a LOT harder to manufacturer and therefore a lot more expensive.

One of the places where fast RAM offers substantial benefits is benchmarking, who are willing to pay that much too. :)
i've just ordered the G.Skill DIMM 64 GB DDR3-1600 Octo-Kit
thank you all :)

Back