• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD & 1600 MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo668

A simple question to most.

I know AMD natively supports RAM speed upto 1333 MHz. If I have 1600 MHz RAM and set the RAM speed in BIOS to 1600, would I be getting 1333 MHz or 1600 MHz?

Thanks.

No, if your RAM is 1600, and you set it to 1600, you should get 1600. Even though AMD supports 1333 natively, it'll still work with other speeds. From what I understand it just really likes 1333. So if there's an option to change the multiplier in your BIOS (I have NO idea why you're motherboard would lock the multiplier) whatever you set it to, is what you'll get out of it, assuming the board and the RAM can take the speeds. The RAM can take the speeds, because it's rated for it, and I haven't seen a board that doesn't support 1600 MHz in a pretty long while. Good luck!

You should have multi at least up to 1866 without FSB overclocking. 1333 is just optimal recommended for Phenoms but it doesn't mean that you can't set more.
Memory should run fine on 1600 if you use XMP profile.

Thanks guys.

I already have it set to 1600 and manually adjusted to XMP timings. It's working great so far. :)

Back