• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatspreader removal.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok so I have pulled HS off several stick of ram in the past. I am used to those oily thermal pads or thermal adhesive. However, ive got a set of kingston sticks that id like to swap HS with my mushkin blacklines, but the HS on the kingsons is attached with double sided tape. Not the thing clear stuff but the kind that looks more like foam tape. I gently pried one side of the HS about 1/4" and see this material stretching but not releasing from the memory chips. Any idea what the best method to get this thermal tape to release is?

Heat generally helps. Sometimes cold in the freezer helps.

Personally I'm afraid to attempt it either way, seen too many removed heatspreaders with ram chips still stuck to them.

^ lol I to have seen this go wrong, but if done carefully you should have no issues. I had to remove some heatspreaders from a gskill kit and I used a blow-dryer to heat them up and they just popped right off. However as bobnova mentioned it depends on the thermal adhesive used.

However since you mentioned it was the foam variety of adhesive you may have some issues since that stuff bonds quite tightly.

Meh, I may end up either painting these sticks or buying something that matches my rig better. Think is that I have these blacklines and my wifes rig is all blue / red / purple theme and mine is black / green so the HS mis match but performance wise they need to stay how they are.

Here I was thinking that you were going to take off the stock heatspreaders and put some heatspreaders that allow you to mount a ram pot to them.

No purely cosmetic. The only gear I take cold is my 939 stuffs. I may have to make a ram pot though shouldnt be to hard.

Back