• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worng temps report by MSI 645 Ultra or P4-1.6A??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcvan

Registered
Difficult to know where to post this question, but here goes:

My retail box P4-1.6A runs fine at 140mhz clock for a speed of 2.1 G in an MSI 645 Ultra (MS-6547 - bios 1.4). Whenever I boot the machine, no matter what the clock speed, MBM5, SANDRA and MSI PC Alert all show CPU temp as 49C. They're all reading off the same mobo sensor, I know. However, the stock heatsink barely seems to get warm. At the highest clock speed, when I run CPU Stability Test for 20 mins, the system temp will rise from around 28-30C to 36C, but the CPU temp only goes from 49C to maybe 51C. The heatsink, in the meanwhile, gets very hot to touch.

At this point, when I reboot & check the BIOS, the CPU temp is just 38C. In 5 minutes, it drops to 34C. Then the BIOS display flickers between 34C and 28C, staying more often at 34C. The reported System Temp in the BIOS appears consistent with the Windows-based software.

If I unplug the cpu heatsink fan, in about 10 minutes it reaches 42C. At that point, when I try to boot into Windows (98SE), the system usually crashes. It will continue to crash till I put the fan back on & wait till the BIOS health temp reads 38C or lower. The point: it should not crash at 42C, which is not that high -- unless the reported temp is wrong.

The gist of all this is that I can't trust the mobo BIOS nor the various Windows-based software to tell the correct CPU temperature.

Which of the following do you think is true?

1. The sensor in the CPU is defective
2. The mobo is not reading the CPU sensor correctly, and the temp shown in the BIOS is incorrect. This also explains why the temps reported by the various software has such a small range.
3. The CPU core gets to operating temp almost immediately, but doesn't affect the heatsink temperature right away.
4. When the CPU is being stressed, its core temp barely rises because the HS transfers the heat away, thereby increasing its own temperature while keeping the CPU cool.

Anyone, any insights??

Back