• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM for Asus intel boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

megalomando

Registered
My old desktop died and I'm needing to get a new one fast, this is a borrowed computer And I've been overclocking every processor since the late 80's. I haven't been keeping on top of what's the latest and greatest but what I've come to find out is overclocking the Intel K seems to be a better bet than AMD at the moment. I read about 4.5GHz on air and I like it.

I don't do much of any gaming though I do have an EVGA GTX275 GPU I mostly got that so with CUDA I could work the GPU with BOINC as well as the Quad core CPU and still have a nice fast computer when I wanted to. Most of what I do with the computer deals with database manipulation but I do use ConvertX2DVD to make MKV files suitable for playing in a DVD player and sometimes that takes 2-3 hours if the files are full size from a Blu-Ray. I want to cut that down & these newer processors will surely do that.

The two processors I've come to think might be good are the i5-2500K & the 17-2600K And as to the motherboard, I'm looking at the ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 and the ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0)

As to RAM I've been tossing between getting 2 sticks of 4GB or 4 of 4GB And the sticks I'm considering are G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB http://tinyurl.com/ccalk23 If I get 8GB they will be the same ones, just a matched set. I like their 1.35V requirement. 16GB for $90 is really sweet. These are pretty affordable and after talking with the techs on the G.Skill site, these will match up nicely with those ASUS motherboards.

So my questions are; Are there other ram in the same price range I should consider?

And... is 16GB overkill for what I want to do? The most I've had is 4GB and I do need more like when I have an ap running & I use ConvertX2Dvd and task manager always says my available memory is zero, but how much more I could use, I don't know.

Thanks!

What would be nice would be to order 8GB and then if I needed more to make 16GB, buy another pair then but as I understand it, they match the rams and getting two separate pairs at different times might find them unmatched and with issues for overclocking. I read getting all four in a kit and they're matched.

Still, if 8GB is sufficient, that's cheaper. (And man has the price come down from a few years ago with DDR2)!

I did decide to go for the 16GB and the reason is I'll probably never need all that ram but if I want to avoid bottlenecks because of low ram, this'll make sure of it. I bought the 1.35V G.Skill Sniper RAM & it ought to be just fine in the ASUS PZ68 DELUXE/GEN3

Thanks for the input!

Back