• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Question..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McMoose

Would there be any difference at all between good ram and bad ram? like ram with different timings.. umm 1333-1600- and up cant remember the rest... But I'm just curious about it because If theres any way i can make this computer run or perform better im willing to give it a try. It dont help with boot drive right? because that would only be a SSD if i remember correctly...

Last edited by a moderator:
Performance wise, not really.

If you want the computer to "seem" faster, you're right, SSD is the way to go.

From all the information I've gathered on this subject, the ideal thing is to go with the market "sweet spot" which is the RAM speed that is the most widely produced. For DDR3 RAM (you didn't specify but I assume so), that sweet spot would be 1333. Go to Newegg and do a search of RAM using options, and you will see over 100 offerings for DDR3 1333 modules.

Beyond this sweet spot, you're looking at spending $20 extra and up for speeds that will have about a 1-3% performance delta. In other words, these "specialty" RAMs like 1666 and up are developed for enthusiasts who want to squeeze every last bit of performance out of their setup. For the average user, you won't be able to see much difference between 1333 and higher speeds.

Helpful?

1600 is more of the sweet spot IMO. It's usually like $3-4 more then 1333.

Thing is that Phenom II and older AMDs have a hard time running 1600, so for that you should get 1333 with better timings.

Also depends on the platform and overclocking as well. On my i7-920, my 1333 RAM is bottlenecking my overclock, since when I push the CPU I have to push RAM as well. However, on Sandy Bridge, they're completely separate, so RAM speed doesn't matter there.

Back