• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Edit: I'm probably wayy overthinking this RAM thing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

janas19

Original post:

Hello people. I'm building a s775 rig and looking to purchase top of the line RAM. I want a 4GB (2x2GB) RAM kit for my setup.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L (DDR2), and the processor will be a Core 2 Duo (not purchased atm). I plan on eventually overclocking.

I do my best to research things beforehand and make an informed decision. However, when it comes to RAM things are a little difficult. Normally I look at benchmarks and specs, but some memory modules have higher specs but those specs aren't fully utilized by a particular motherboard (I'll call this "compatibility issues"). So a lower spec RAM module may, in fact, peform better than a higher spec module due to compatibility issues. (reference: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/mushkin-xp2-9200/7.html) Confusing eh?

In my search I started here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693934 and that gave me an idea of what ICs RAM manufacturers use. Most of the models listed there are older, 2x1GB kits that are outdated, so that's a concern. However, based on the information given, I was able to see that in the past at least, GSKILL uses the choicest chips, and also higher performance PCB. (reference:http://www.legitreviews.com/article/53/3/)

Ok, so that's a lot of DDR2 from the past, let me fast-foward to 2011. I'm searching Newegg for current 2x2GB DDR2 sticks. My main criteria are specs and compatibility. The highest spec DDR2 2x2 kit Newegg offers is GSkill Pi 1333. But a quick check on GSkill's website shows that my motherboard is NOT listed on the tested fully compatible, so I throw that option out. The next-highest rung on specs is DDR2, 1066 speed. Here the options are 3: Kingston HyperX, Crucial, and GSkill. All 3 manufacturers use Micron chips, but Kingston and Crucial don't have as rich a selection as GSkill, nor do they use the higher-quality PCB. Thus, my choice of superior RAM out of those 3 would be the Gskill: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166. When I search GSkills website, it does confirm my motherboard, GA-EP45-UD3L, is tested fully compatible - BINGO, we have a winner!

Based on the criteria of specs and compatibility, it seems like the best choice on Newegg for RAM would be Gskill 1066. Now I'm looking for some help from some seasoned members who have more real-world overclocking experience than I do. In your esteemed opinion, is this the best choice of RAM for my system? Is my rational correct, or am I perhaps missing something?

Would appreciate all feedback. Thanks guys! :p

That was pretty dense. Sorry.

Can anybody recommend a 2x2 DDR2 RAM kit for a Gigabyte p45?

Last edited:
generally RAM is the least important part of your system, since you will see the biggest gains from changing/upgrading other parts like the cpu and gpu.

Since you said you plan on overclocking eventually with a kit of 1066 ram you should be able to hit decently high FSB speeds so you shouldn't be limited there.

so buy the G.Skill you linked and you are good to go. :thup:

generally RAM is the least important part of your system, since you will see the biggest gains from changing/upgrading other parts like the cpu and gpu.

Since you said you plan on overclocking eventually with a kit of 1066 ram you should be able to hit decently high FSB speeds so you shouldn't be limited there.

so buy the G.Skill you linked and you are good to go. :thup:

Cool. I've been looking at the 1066 kits on Ebay and they're keeping their value pretty well. If I go with 800 DDR2 instead, will that speed limit my core multipliers? How exactly does that work?

Thanks for the info! :cool:

Cool. I've been looking at the 1066 kits on Ebay and they're keeping their value pretty well. If I go with 800 DDR2 instead, will that speed limit my core multipliers? How exactly does that work?

Thanks for the info! :cool:

You shoudln't be limited by your core multiplier, you should be able to run at your max cou multi then raise FSB to achieve your desired overclock. since memory speed is derived from your FSB speed via a multiplier; an 800mhz kit of ram will run fine at 400fsb with a ratio of 1:1 while a 1066mhz kit will run fine with a FSB 500 @ a 1:1 ratio. Check out this guide on how to overclock a C2D cpu. it should tell you how it all works together. Hopefully I was able to help :thup:

You shoudln't be limited by your core multiplier, you should be able to run at your max cou multi then raise FSB to achieve your desired overclock. since memory speed is derived from your FSB speed via a multiplier; an 800mhz kit of ram will run fine at 400fsb with a ratio of 1:1 while a 1066mhz kit will run fine with a FSB 500 @ a 1:1 ratio. Check out this guide on how to overclock a C2D cpu. it should tell you how it all works together. Hopefully I was able to help :thup:

That was a great help. Thanks again for your input, bmwbaxter :D

I just checked out the guide you referenced, that was the s***, thanks. Now, I just have to wait for my stuff to come in the mail. Have to be patient. Sigh.

:p

The Gskill ram is great and i dont think it was listed as compatible for my gigabyte board but it still works fine. Either the 800mhz or the 1066mhz would be a good choice and even w/ the 800mhz you shouldn't be limited when overclocking. My Gskill would post into windows at 1000mhz and i ran it stable at 920mhz(460fsb) on my E6550. Currently running it at a 50mhz overclock w/ my E8500. Overall im very happy w/ it and wouldnt hesitate on buying it for another build in the future.

The Gskill ram is great and i dont think it was listed as compatible for my gigabyte board but it still works fine. Either the 800mhz or the 1066mhz would be a good choice and even w/ the 800mhz you should be limited when overclocking. My Gskill would post into windows at 1000mhz and i ran it stable at 920mhz(460fsb) on my E6550. Currently running it at a 50mhz overclock w/ my E8500. Overall im very happy w/ it and wouldnt hesitate on buying it for another build in the future.

Awesome. :thup:

Do you get any idea of temps on that RAM with the OC?

Thanks!

You cant check the ram temps because they are not monitored like the cpu and other components. You just need to make sure you dont overvolt them so when overclocking keep them with in the range given from the manufacture. For my gskill its 1.8v-2.1v but i only added an extra volt (1.9v) in bios when they were at 920mhz. You can also touch the ram heat spreaders to make sure. Mine are cool to the touch but just make sure you got good airflow through you case and dont overvolt them and you should be fine.

If you go w/ the 1066mhz Gskill you probably wont be overclocking your ram but if you go w/ the 800mhz anything over a 400fsb the ram will be overclocked w/ a 1:1

You cant check the ram temps because they are not monitored like the cpu and other components. You just need to make sure you dont overvolt them so when overclocking keep them with in the range given from the manufacture. For my gskill its 1.8v-2.1v but i only added an extra volt (1.9v) in bios when they were at 920mhz. You can also touch the ram heat spreaders to make sure. Mine are cool to the touch but just make sure you got good airflow through you case and dont overvolt them and you should be fine.

If you go w/ the 1066mhz Gskill you probably wont be overclocking your ram but if you go w/ the 800mhz anything over a 400fsb the ram will be overclocked w/ a 1:1

You sound like you know a fair amount about this, and you've been so helpful, just one more quick question if I may! :) I get that the RAM speed should at least match the FSB, but what if it is actually higher? Does that mean you have to downclock the RAM, or can it run higher than the FSB speed?

You sound like you know a fair amount about this, and you've been so helpful, just one more quick question if I may! :) I get that the RAM speed should at least match the FSB, but what if it is actually higher? Does that mean you have to downclock the RAM, or can it run higher than the FSB speed?

it can run higher than FSB since it is on a multi so if you had a FSB of 100mhz you would run a multi of 5 so 100mhz*5=500mhz RAM and since it is ddr2 you would end up with 1000mhz actual speed :thup:

I could be wrong but i dont remember the ram speed going off the CPU multiplier but rather off the SPD ratio.

What i would do is try run a higher SPD ratio. For instance w/ a SPD of 1:1 and a 400fsb, my ram will run at 800mhz, double the fsb (400 x 2.0). Say i wanted to run my ram overclocked at 1000mhz w/ a 400fsb then i would run a 2.5 ratio (400 X 2.5=1000mhz) rather then a 2.0 AKA 1:1. But this would also depend on what SPD ratios you have to choose from in you bios.

So say you got DDR2 1066 and your running a 427fsb, then you should be able to set the SPD ratio at 2.5 (if available) then your ram w/ run at 1067mhz.

I could be wrong so any other forum members please correct me if i am. :D

Last edited:
I could be wrong but i dont remember the ram speed going off the CPU multiplier but rather off the SPD ratio.

What i would do is try run a higher SPD ratio. For instance w/ a SPD of 1:1 and a 400fsb, my ram will run at 800mhz, double the fsb (400 x 2.0). Say i wanted to run my ram overclocked at 1000mhz w/ a 400fsb then i would run a 2.5 ratio (400 X 2.5=1000mhz) rather then a 2.0 AKA 1:1. But this would also depend on what SPD ratios you have to choose from in you bios.

So say you got DDR2 1066 and your running a 427fsb, then you should be able to set the SPD ratio at 2.5 (if available) then your ram w/ run at 1067mhz.

I could be wrong so any other forum members please correct me if i am. :D

I wasn't implying that memory was based off of cpu multiplier. I was implying that it was from the memory multi. So you are right and I was right. I was just trying to give him a very simple explanation.

Back