• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very wierd DDR2 HyperX problem (can't pass 667mhz freqency)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

necans

So,i've been looking for an answer on many forums for last 2 or 3 hours on how to clock my memory,and nothing,absolutely nothing worked.So here's long term explanation,if you wan't TL;DR - just read bold stuff.

I've bought assembled computer (not native english,so i don't really know a word for it) about 3 years ago,and it worked perfect untill last year or so,when one of two RAM modules i had failed to load.Back then i wasn't really into clocking and stuff,so i sent my computer to service and they told me that one of modules broke - i tested it,and it was true.With one stick,it worked perfectly,with two,didnt wan't to even host.RAM modules (they were same) were KHX8500AD2/2G. Still have one left,up and running.

Yesterday i bought KHX8500D2/2G,specs were same,everything is same,the only real difference is that this one supports up to 2.3V,and AD2 only 2.0V. I plug it in - everything works perfect,except one thing.Freqency is set to 667 mhz.I tried to fix it in BIOS,set it to 1066,or even 800 mhz,but it didn't work - it kept resseting.

The wierd thing was - the old ram (AD2-2G) worked alone in 1066mhz without any problems at all,but when i added new one,you read what happened.

So i tried many things - setting higher voltage,setting timings,everything failed.And so i came here for help.I tried resseting CMOS,i updated my BIOS to latest version,i checked if my CPU and motherboard support 1066mhz dual channel,and they do.So whats the problem?Heres my setup.

AMD Athlon II x4 620
Gigabyte MA-770-DS3 rev 1.0
ATi Radeon 4670
Kingston HyperX KHX8500 AD2/2G 2GB 1066mhz (old one)
Kingston HyperX KHX8500 D2/2G 2GB 1066mhz (new one)

EDIT: For some wierd reason,now it works on 800mhz.Still doesn't work on 1066mhz.

Last edited:
Since the modules are rated for 533MHz at different voltages, make sure the voltage (DDR2 Voltage Control) is set to the higher 2.3V. Also make sure to manually set 1T/2T Command Timing to 2T, and take NorthBridge Volt Control off Normal set to a positive value like +0.100V

My motherboard doesn't allow DDR2 voltage over around 2.1v.When it breaches 2v,all other numbers are in red color...something like this...

Number 1 (around 1.9v)
Number 2 (around 1.95v)
Number 3 (around 2.0v)
Number 4 (higher)
Number 5 (even higher)

It reaches around 2.1v and then there's no more.

If you can't adjust the DRAM voltage to 2.3V or higher w/ the +0.375V option, then it looks like you're stuck at an unstable 2.1V without removing the newer 2.3V modules.

Yep,i guess im stuck with 800mhz,but its better than 667mhz,and is certainly better than 1066mhz with only 2GB.

Thanks for help!

Back