• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95. What is that "custom FFT" everyone's talking about?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

txus.palacios

Title says it all.

It seems a lot of people use a "custom FFT" setting that allows for quicker testing. But I can't seem to find it, and when I find something that may be the custom FFT, I can't understand the post.

Anyone cares to write a custom FFT guide? Or at least tell me what should I enter in the fields?

there isn't anyway to test stability quicker. when testing for 24/7 stability it is best to let it run for 24 hours. changing the FFT settings won't allow you to properly test in less time.

If I keep failing on a particular problem size, rather than waiting the full 2hrs or however long it takes to get back to that problem size, I just select custom size to jump straight to the problematic problem size. <<< That is a quote from that post in a thread here in the forum.

Custom FFT's set to the size of the failing FFT's to test the tweaks done in bios to attempt to stabilize the failure of Prime 95. So without actually knowing the failed portion of P95 there is not really a "custom FFT" that would make a great deal of sense. Not really. I would instead run Small FFTs, then Large FFTs and then Blend for a total of at least 12 hours to say a system had a pretty good chance of being stable. IMO. YMMV.

Well maybe not all 'mist'

Thanks everyone for making my mind clear.
So there's no magic stuff for Prime95, it's all mist.

I guess no magic stuff but if P95 fails at a specific test level and you know where it is then you could insert that failure level in "custom FFT" and test just the failed area after a tweak in the bios aimed at getting that test level/FFT stable. That would make a "custom FFT" test of value at that point. Or so it would seem. If it was not failing eleswhere in P95 and to be able to jump back to that failing spot quickly without all the other tests first would be a good thing for a quick down and dirty check out of your tweaks for stability.

Back