• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can CL be decreased - stupid purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angelicus

impulsively (ie stupidly) bought 8gb gskill sniper ddr3 1866 for $45 - anticipating an upgrade later this year - but learned the 8gb is overkill for gaming and I'd do better with 4gb 1600 with CL7 timing - returning these to newegg will cost $15 - more stupid on my part - if i keep them for a z68 build, is it possible (and if so likely I can reduce the CL timing by running these things at 1600?

you will be able to run tighter timings by lowering the speed. Although you won't see much of a real world improvement by changing anything. Maybe 1-2 FPS, but nothing substantial.

I'm not sure why you would want to run DDR3-1866 at DDR3-1600, but yes... the timings can be tightened w/ the lower frequency. Assuming the timings are 9-10-9-28-1T at DDR3-1866 and 1.5V, overall bandwidth would probably be higher than at DDR3-1600 w/ tighter timings. You could open CPU-Z to the SPD tab, check to see what the XMP / SPD programmed timings and voltage are at DDR3-1600, then adjust those accordingly in the BIOS.

I'm not sure why you would want to run DDR3-1866 at DDR3-1600...

...based on poking around other threads my impression is (1) that 8gb is overkill for games - making my purchase stupid out-of-the-gate, and (2) performance diff between 1600 & 1866 is considerably less than difference between CL7 and CL9 timings - So given that it makes ZERO sense to rma these sticks (stupid #2) , thought I might go for a bargain asrock z68 mobo (which doesn't support 1866 in any case) and try for tighter timings...(trying to patch stupids # 1 and #2)

Last edited:
The ASRock motherboard will still overclock to 1866. I don't think you have anything to worry about here - RAM speed doesn't make much of a difference on Sandy Bridge, and 1866 should be faster than 1600 at tighter timings.

The ASRock motherboard will still overclock to 1866.

the specs on NewEgg only show 1866 OC for the Pro version of the board - the Extreme does not - but since I see from your sig line you actually have the Extreme, I will take your opinion over posted specs, which sometimes are not 100% ...course, if I could tighten the timings @1866, heh, heh...

Raw bandwidth usually makes a bigger difference than timing adjustments. Like redduc said, you'll probably get better performance at 1866 with looser timings.

Back