• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lil overclocking advice from the pro's please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gix

Hi Folks, hoping i could pick some experienced brains for some help.

until recently i was running

quad core q6600 [email protected]
asus p5 suminsumin board
3 gb bog standard ddr2 800mhz ram
corsair water cooler tingy
plenty of fans

ran lovely no problems great stuff budget price, but i got greedy didnt i..
bout some kingston hyper x 1066mhz ram to replace said bog standard ram and now i can't overclock the cpu at all when i do i get all sorts of checksum errors and boot errors, works fine when i switch off the overclocking or if i switch the ram back down to 800mhz and overclocking back on its ok but im gutted i want to overclock and have the fast ram I WANT IT ALL!!! :)

obviously there is a hardware issue im guessing something to do with the cpu fsb running at its 1066 top end

the bios does provide the option of manual settings (until now ive been using the overclocking profiles) but im not keen on frying the thing. without sound advice that is

anyone got any advice on where to go from here i can spend bit of cash if i need to but not much im just a lowly chef not bill gates

TY and Happy christmas :ty:

:welcome: to the forums!

Make sure that you are giving the correct amount of rated voltage for the memory, as it is likely different from the stuff that you had before, as well as the rated timings for the speed that it is supposed to run. This information should be listed on the sticks of RAM and on the packaging it came in (as well as the website I assume you bought it from).

Beyond that, you likely will need to add a bit more vcore to the CPU and/or increase your Northbridge voltage for the extra FSB increase (it is sometimes called MCH voltage in the BIOS).

I recommend giving this thread a read-over and come back with any questions that you have:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

Hi Janus,

thanks for the advice i had a read through the post u
linked and have tryed my best to configure as required but i can seem to find the vcore setting, the only settings i have under jumper free config are

memory over voltage
nb overvoltage
vtt_cpu ov
sb ov

at the moment i have left them all on auto and haven't touched the fsb speed thats still on auto too, the rest of the advised settings on the post including the mem timings and cpu ratio (9x) have been programed in and its running fine

i also installed the cpuid program and have got some screen caps of my config hopefully this will help
one thing i noticed on the SPD page was that the memory stated doesn't seem to match the one 1 bought (http://www.cclonline.com/product/35...1066MHz-DDR2-Dual-Channel-Memory-Kit/RAM5881/)

it def says 8500 on the box and not 6400 and it looks the same (duh im such a noob:)

View attachment memory.bmp

View attachment caches.bmp

View attachment cpu.bmp

View attachment Graphics.bmp

View attachment mainboard.bmp

View attachment SPD.bmp

thanks again for your help m8 u are my Hero :)

None of your pic's are showing up. And we need to know the exact model of motherboard, not just "asus p5 suminsumin board".

Also i purchased a 500w gaming psu so that shouldn't be a prob

They work fine for me, donno what y'all's problem is.

As to the overclocking, set the ram at 800 (400)mhz before you start cranking the FSB up.
The 1066 ram doesn't seem to appreciate being overclocked beyond 1066mhz.

Back