• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Different voltage mem causing crashes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lokpik

Here's the situation, hopefully it makes sense...

Current system...
i3 550(stock)
EVGA GT 450(stock)
ASUS P7P55-M
KHX1600C9D3K2/4G 1.7-1.9v
all settings in BIOS are auto except AI overclock tuner is D.O.C.P, DRAM OC profile DDR3 1600(for native 1600 mem, otherwise auto sets to 1333 because of SPD), CPU Ratio 20.0, BCLK 160, all others auto. The CPU ratio and BCLK are set automatically after choosing 1600 profile.

I bought KHX1600C9AD3K2/2 1.65v(?) first but it didn't seem to work(long story). I planned on going to x64 OS later and so went with KHX1600C9D3K2/4G 1.7-1.9v instead. Both bought Oct 2010. Now that I got x64 OS, I decided to buy more of the same memory but can't because Kingston discontinued "C9D3K2/4G" so I asked them which model can replace or go with what I have already. They said these two models can work together and they do...but after ~30min of Skyrim...CTD or BSOD(memory management) or with Batman:AC it freezes at save load. Never any problems before new memory was added.

So, question, can I change VCORE Over Voltage, IMC Voltage, DRAM Voltage, CPU PLL Voltage, or PCH Voltage to make the system stable? Those are the only options I have besides timings which should be the same for both models according to 1600 specs. I thought, since one model is 1.7-1.9v and another is 1.65v I could just bump up the lower one manually to give the others more juice for stability but I keep reading that DDR3 is normally 1.5v and setting DRAM over 1.65v is dangerous?

Lots of reading I know, sorry. I hope I got the point across. Thanks in advance.

Update: Okay, I set the remaining settings in BIOS back to "Auto" and as a result Skyrim no longer gives me the save game error "version 0 instead of current 8". Also, it was auto-saving when it crashed one time and on an attempt to load the auto-save it said it was corrupt and was named "Unknown location". I'm not sure what memory has to do with save "versions"? Corrupted auto-save makes sense from a crash I guess.

Before changing BIOS back Batman:AC quit asking for my log in on start up and my saves were lost. Not sure what that's about. Never got BSOD from that game even though it did CTD. Started a new game and just after escaping it CTD while punching some dudes and threw up an error box with a long list of "fails"...?x???? etc with "FATAL" on top.

Back