• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SiS 645 vs i845D vs P4X266

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nucro

Which one should be a better choise to use w/PC2100 and P4 1.6A ?
I'm planning to oc 1.6 to 2.2 Ghz .

I just got my 1.6a and some Mushkin PC2100 DDR over the weekend. Now running happily (and quickly) w/ Win XP on my Asus P4S333M at stock voltage and retail cooling at a 133FSB (2.133 GHZ). Didn't have to use any BIOS or drivers that were not already in the Win XP install. Unexpected side benny - my old Aureal Vortex 2 is now working under XP! (former system was an Athlon with VIA chipset) ;)

Asus P4S333-m (micro ATX)
P4 1.6a @ 2.133ghz w/ retail hsf
256 mb Mushkin PC2100 DDR
Asus GeForce 256 V6600
SMC LAN card
Aureal Vortex II sound card
Chilli Pro mATX case
Panaflo intake
Sparkle 250w
Aopen CDRW 12X

P4 1.6a @ 2.133ghz w/ retail hsf

Very nice overclock! I'm planning to buy Asus P4S333. Haven't you tried to go higher?

The SiS 645 A2 revision by far has the most potential for OCing from what I have read to date. And best of all its got Mutoil which features 533mb/s thruput from SOuth to Northbridge, which means no bottlenecking from the chipset!

Hi Nucro - I haven't tried a higher overclock yet. I'll let you know but i have PC2700 DDR on order (Samsung - verified w/ Sis) and am waiting to get it now. The other thing is the P4S333-m version I have (micro-ATX version of P4S333) does not include all the overclocking features - i.e. no voltage adjustments. So you should be able to get higher clocking than me.

On the A2 revision, reviews I read have not found any improvement in performance or stability. The original release includes the Mutiol feature.

There is only about a 3 percent increase in performance on the A2, but the big deal with owning the A2 is that you can now run 3 sticks of true PC2700 RAM, not just 2 like in the older revisions.

Skecherkid can you tell me a little bit about what features the asus P4S333M. I am in the market for a Micro atx board but I want one that supports good FSB overclocking. Can you adjust the FSB 1MHz at a time in the bios? The lack of voltage adjustment is fine since I can probably voltmod the board or wire wrap the pins.

Bender - yes with the P4S333-m you can adjust FSB one MHZ at a time. You can set the FSB/PCI ratio 100:33, then a bunch of intermediate settings such as 101:34 on up to 133:33 and you can set the FSB/mem ratio as 1:1, 4:3, 3:4 or 4:5.

I use the 133:33 setting for FSB/PCI and the 4:5 setting for FSB/mem at the 133FSB speed. So I am running 133FSB, 166mem, and 33 PCI bus.

You can also set the DDR properties. (Cas latency etc)

You can't change any voltages through BIOS.

Hope that helps in your decision!

Thanks a lot for the info Skecherkid. I ordered the P4S333m today. Does the P4S333m have any sort of voltage adjustments? Also do you know what voltage regulator the board has? I want to voltmod the board so I can adjust it and don't have to vid pin the chip.

Actually the ASUS P4S333 (regular ATX) board has 3 DDR slots but allows only 2 PC2700 or 3 PC2100. The new Sis645DX board is the one that allows true 3 sticks of DDR333/DDR400.

The P4S333M (micro-ATX) board has the the same overclocking options as the ATX one except the voltage adjustment it seems.

Sorry Bender, I checked in my P4S333M manual and the board layout diagram and docs do not refer to the voltage regulator. If your mod succeeds let us know how you do it! In any case, the P4S333M is a great board for me at least. And the Northwood seems to be a great overclocker even at stock voltage.

Skecherkid the voltage regulator won't be listed in the manual. If you know what it looks like on the board you can find it. I'll have my board soon enough so I'll be able to figure it out. Once I do that I'll find the spec sheet on the chip and see if it can be voltmoded. I have yet to see a voltage regulator that cant be fooled into giveing a little more voltage.

I setup an Epox 4SDA and P4 1.6A combo yesterday and it's already running at 2.215 GHz (138.4 MHz FSB) with the core at 1.75V. I'm currently using an AVC Sunflower heatsink and the CPU temp is hanging around 55C after running the SiSoft Sandra burn in test for about 12 hours. I have a Thermatake Volcano 7+ on order to get the temps down and then I'll see how far it'll go. The DDR is generic Micron and has run at 2-2-2 up to 148 MHz on my Asus A7M266-D dual XP 1800+ system.

I can't give any difinitive answer to the eternal "which is best" question. But I wanted to go cheap and already had a stick of DDR. So getting one of those $150 full featured Intel 845D boards wasn't a consideration. Plus I have no use for RAID, or onboard sound, or USB 2.0 for that matter. Dunno about long-term stability yet and have always been skeptical of SiS chipsets, but so far so good. The board is well stocked with overclocking features, allowing the core to be set above 1.8V in the BIOS.

The fan is not the flower type but I think it also cools enough. It's stable@[email protected] and the @1.675 it can do 2.26Ghz. I can't monitor the temps in windows but the heatsink is hardly lukewarm. The memory is running @166 2-2-3

Might want to update your sig there nucro, you are a *bit* above a Cel600@900 now ;)

I have the P4S333 and 2 sticks of Corsair PC2700. I am now waiting for a 1.8A. I will report back when I get it all together.

Actually this system is not mine but I can play with it :p and I'm planning to change my sig as Celeron [email protected] ;)

With Corsair PC2700 youl'll have much higher scores than this. I'm eager to to see your mem scores.

Back