• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to adjust for computer to accept the full size of installed memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

victorycck

I replaced two DDR1 DIMMs (512 MB) with one DDR1 DIMM (1 GB) because the former malfunctioned. The former DIMMs are 400 MHz and on the new one there is written in PC3200 which leads me to conclude that it is 400 MHz too.

The problem is when I try to Install Window XP, the system complains that "This computer does not have enough memory to run Window XP. This version requires 64.00 megabytes of memory. Set up can not continue".

For Christ's sake, the computer is requiring 64 MB and yet I have installed a 1 GB DIMM. What should I do to enable the computer to work normally?

Thanks in advance

What is your BIOS reporting as the installed memory amount? It's possible that the mainboard isn't recognising the memory for what it is. Some mainboard chipsets only supported certain types of memory (single sided or double sided, certain voltages etc).

I suspect your mainboard is detecting it a something significantly lower than it is. Why are you running Windows XP on an older computer anyway? I find Linux Mint to be much faster and more fully featured when it comes to making use of old computers. Heck, you can even get MS Office working under it no worries by using WINE.

How can I find out maximum memory supported by mobo

Are you sure that your mobo support 1GB stick per RAM slot?

I don't know whether the mobo supports 1GB sticks. How can I find out the maximum memory that can be supported by this mobo?

I greatly appreciate

What is your BIOS reporting as the installed memory amount? It's possible that the mainboard isn't recognising the memory for what it is. Some mainboard chipsets only supported certain types of memory (single sided or double sided, certain voltages etc).

I suspect your mainboard is detecting it a something significantly lower than it is. Why are you running Windows XP on an older computer anyway? I find Linux Mint to be much faster and more fully featured when it comes to making use of old computers. Heck, you can even get MS Office working under it no worries by using WINE.

The memory amount according to the BIOS is 24 MB.

This is the first time I hear about Linux Mint. I am checking out their site and intend to try it out but I am wondering how different it may be when compared to Ubuntu or even Fedora. Might you know the difference?

Thanks

It would help us to know the model of motherboard and the EXACT model of RAM installed.

The motherboard is a Mercury 845 GVML motherboard and the RAM is Kingston and its written on KVR400X64C3A/1G

On the casing of the DIMM i found this: 1 GB PC3200 CL3 184-Pin DIMM

The memory amount according to the BIOS is 24 MB.

This is the first time I hear about Linux Mint. I am checking out their site and intend to try it out but I am wondering how different it may be when compared to Ubuntu or even Fedora. Might you know the difference?

Thanks

It's based on Ubuntu though it has pretty much everything you need (video codecs etc) preinstalled. They've created their own Gnome 3 interface which is much more usable than some of the other distros out there.

here is your board specs: http://www.mercury-pc.com/product-spec.php?productid=507

looks like it should support 2x1gb sticks. however it says 266/333 and not 400mhz. normally this shouldnt matter because it can often downstep which is probably why your smaller sticks were working. the new 1gb just doesnt want to cooperate. i would try swapping for a 333mhz 1gb stick. also try your other slot/ or see if there are some memory frequency options in your bios to fiddle with.

I replaced two DDR1 DIMMs (512 MB) with one DDR1 DIMM (1 GB) because the former malfunctioned. The former DIMMs are 400 MHz and on the new one there is written in PC3200 which leads me to conclude that it is 400 MHz too.

The problem is when I try to Install Window XP, the system complains that "This computer does not have enough memory to run Window XP. This version requires 64.00 megabytes of memory. Set up can not continue".

For Christ's sake, the computer is requiring 64 MB and yet I have installed a 1 GB DIMM. What should I do to enable the computer to work normally?

Thanks in advance

Did I just find a portal back to 1999?

Back