• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which G-Skill kit to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dan5jr

Registered
Currently running an i5-760 on a p7p55d-e pro with 2x2gb of corsair xms3 1600mhz. Decided with prices so low that its time for an upgrade and seems like gskill has been getting really good reviews so i want to give them a shot.

Not sure what the difference is between ripjaws, ripjaws x, and the sniper series. They all cost around $40 or so but for like $5 more i can get the low voltage (1.35v) so im kinda leaning towards that. Any suggestions?

Also would anyone reccomend getting 16gb? I was thinkin about maybe trying to set up a ramdisk or something but i dont know if its worth the extra hassle that can come from using all 4 slots and ocing (even tho the low voltage would def help).

Thanks.

The low voltage memory is pretty much designed for sandybridge. I imagine that a socket 1156 chip could run it but likely it would have to run at 1.5v depending on your motherboard. The difference between ripjaws and ripjaws X is XMP. Both will run at whatever there rated speeds are but the regular ripjaws will require manual timings.

Good point with the sniper series, thanks. So besides having to set manual timings, the only real difference between the other two are the heatspreaders? If so i mighg as well just get the X since im only gonna use two slots so i dont have to worry about clearing my heatsink fan

Do you know any source for those Samsungs? They look so generic and I can't find the model on any European websites.

I have asked the distributors and the "major" distributor of Spain and they can't seem to find them / don't want to find them.

Not sure about where you live. Ask your trusted stores.

EDIT: Brain, why did I say Denmark...

Unless you're already using more then 4GB of RAM and being pushed to the page file...I don't see why an upgrade is necessary...

Back