• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NForce 790i and Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arturo218

Registered
Hi everyone, i am new to this forum and i am glad for joining!

Alright, here's my problem: I have a 3 years old rig and i have been getting a little money lately (not so much actually, but enough to make a small upgrade) and i want to ask you pro´s for advice..

My Motherboard is an XFX Nforce 790i with 775 socket and a Intel Core 2 Quad 2.8 Ghz , and right now i have 8gb DDR3 1333 Ram on it, they are a Kingston Value RAM's with a Copper Cooler Master Heat Spreaders, nothing awesome indeed..

Anyway, my question is, do you guys know if i can install on my motherboard some faster modules such a Corsair DDR3 1600 Mhz, but i wish to add the 8gb, i have been reading the whole internet for an answer and i am not familiar with modifying voltages, etc. so i do not want to mess it up...

So you guys, what would you recommend me? Should i buy the 1600 modules or there is no real difference between the Value RAM 8gb 1333 and this?

Should i make an overclock to my Core 2 Quad from 2.8 to 3.0 ghz, is this hard task?

Thank you very much in advance and excuse my poor and crude english, it isn't my natal language.

You can go to the MFG website and check its compatability list.

As far as what you will get off the upgrade, likely nothing. Ram speeds do not matter in most cases...especially with that nforce chipset that allows you to set your memory independent of the FSB.

I would suggest overclocking, absolutely! Check out the C2D/C2Q guide linked in my signature..

Welcome! :)

Hey dude, thanks for the quick reply!

Alright, i'll leave this RAM and go for the overclock then, i guess i'll be spending my money into another upgrade, more likely related to my videocard..

I'll read your guide right now, hope i can make it right.

Thanks!

Back