• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM for AMD Phenom II x4 955 and Gigabyte ga-ma790xt-ud4p?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saticmotion

Hello,

I was doing research for some new RAM, while I stumbled across this forum. So I thought "Hey! Why not ask it here?"

So, I'm looking for new memory for my current PC.

My current specs (that matter):

Mobo: Gigabyte ga-ma790xt-ud4p
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (with a Zalman CNPS7000C-Cu LED cooler mounted on top. Well actually the one without LEDs, but I can't find the exact name on the website)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz CL7 4GB

Now, I've heard - from G.Skill employees - that G.Skill RAM is actually optimized for Intel CPU's. So I want to get rid of this whole set. I've been looking at the Corsair Vengeance 1600 8GB set. But I'm not sure if it's any good.

I'm looking for opinions or suggestions. My requirements for the RAM are 16GB in 4 sticks. 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz, timings as fast as possible. Certainly not any worse then CL9.

Thanks!

Lol. Optimized is just marketing. Your RAM is perfectly fine. If you don't need the extra RAM or the change; don't. You don't need to change.. What would you need 16GB for?

Agreed. Marketing horse hooey.

wondering why you REQUIRE 16GB as well. Regardless, I would go DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 or lower and not worry about Intel optimized ram from some Gkskill sales...err techsupport.

I have a similar set for my AMD x6. I had 8GB. Then one stick went bad so I have 6GB. I do a lot of recording and I'm a gamer and I still haven't maxed out my RAM.

RAM is so cheap here at the moment, so I thought let's just buy the max I can get :) And also future-proofing and bragging of course ^^

Thanks for the tip :) Didn't know it was just marketing.

Back