• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about overclocking memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velomaxx

Registered
Hey guys. I built my own pc finally, and I'm thinking about overclocking my 8Gb Gskillx memory. It says 2133Mhz(O.C.) on the package and according to my bios settings it's running at 1600Mhz right now. I have a 700W OCZ psu and I've never overclocked before. I'm kind of worried about doing something bad to my system and I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers. Thanks

What's the exact model of G.Skill? Also list the rest of your system spec's, possibly including pic's of CPU-Z open to the CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs.

This of course ^^...

But I leave you with why? Overclocking you ram will actually yield very little if any performance gains for a normal user. It wont hurt anything to overclock the ram, but there isnt a point for most users either. I would look in to overclocking your CPU well before your ram for real world performance gains. :)

This of course ^^...

But I leave you with why? Overclocking you ram will actually yield very little if any performance gains for a normal user. It wont hurt anything to overclock the ram, but there isnt a point for most users either. I would look in to overclocking your CPU well before your ram for real world performance gains. :)

okay thanks. My main reason for overclocking ram is to get the full speed out of the ram since I can only get 1600Mhz without overclocking.

The exact model is G.Skill RipjawsX series DDR3-2133

I'm not sure if overclocking my CPU is such a good idea right now because I'm using the stock heatsink.

System specs: -corsair 400r case
-OCZ ModXstream pro 700W
-intel i5 2500k processor
-evga GTX 570 overclocked
-asus p8z68-v mobo
-8GB RipJawsX ram

You can get a few hundred Mhz out of it on the stock cooler. Just dont touch anything but the multi and try go to 4Ghz. Stress test it and keep temps in the mid 80s or below. If it hoses on you add .05v to teh vcore. ;)

Your RAM is rated for 2133mhz, but your mobo is holding it back to 1600mhz.
You should be able to up the clock speed of your memory to 2133mhz without consequence. You'll notice maybe a few more frames per second in games, and a few more points in 3DMark. :thup:

You may just enable the XMP profile in the bios if you have Intel Platform, Manual bios setting is required for AMD platform, i am glad to assist you with bios configuration after the model number of your CPU/Memory/Motherboard provided.

Your RAM is rated for 2133mhz, but your mobo is holding it back to 1600mhz.
You should be able to up the clock speed of your memory to 2133mhz without consequence. You'll notice maybe a few more frames per second in games, and a few more points in 3DMark. :thup:

so don't touch the voltage at all?
and what other programs do I need in order to overclock, can I just use my bios?

Back