• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stuck on mobo choice...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zck250

please help choose motherboard...

Im looking to upgrade to a p4 about 1.6ghz and im stuck at what mobo to get.

What mobo would perform the best, be the fastest, and still have decent oc options?

i think i want DDR because it is basically as fast as RDRAM but way less expensive. But if you've found a great RDRAM mobo that's great too.

System info:
retail radeon 8500
P4 1.6-1.8 ghz
Xp pro
If DDR then PC2700
If RDRAM PC800
Good cooling
Cant think of rest, but you get the idea.

Thanks!:cool:

Last edited:
I would go with any motherboard with the SiS 645 A2 chipset. Its a killer for OCing. Get a new Northwood P4 at 1.6 and easily crank it to 2.2 and beyond. Soyo and MSI make great 645 boards.

The P4 will be limited by the lower bandwidth of PC2100 DDR, which is equally priced with RDRAM. If you buy good quality DDR such as Kingmax at PC2700 you'll pay about $16 more per 256Mb stick. Corsair memory is about $30 more per 256Mb than RDRAM. Sure you can overclock to PC2700 or a little further to a little better than the performance of PC800 RDRAM but when you overclock RDRAM to PC1066spec, DDR can't catch up.

Back