• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the success rate of 16G memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

I have a EVGA P55 SLI, and I remember at some point some people saying they had a hard time getting 16G of memory to work on their PCs in general..

Since I have the P66 i7 860 1156, are there special considerations for getting all 4 DDR3 slots polulated?

Looking at some GSKILL Ripjaws X series.. 4 x 4G

-D

Many people say it hurts the memory overclock and the base clock of the board. If you run the RAM stock then you should be fine. I populated my board with 4 stick (2 x 4gb, 2 x 2gb) and it worked practically the same as when I had only 2 sticks.

Sounds good! I don't want to OC, just match the CPU's performance.. My OC is not very high on CPU anyways.

Match the CPU's performance? I dont understand what that means...If you are not using 4GB already, moving to 16GB isnt going to help anything.

You will likely have to add some Vtt to get it to work. Populating all 4 slots does tend to lower overclocking abilities as it puts more stess on the IMC.

Match the CPU's performance? I dont understand what that means...If you are not using 4GB already, moving to 16GB isnt going to help anything.

You will likely have to add some Vtt to get it to work. Populating all 4 slots does tend to lower overclocking abilities as it puts more stess on the IMC.

Match CPU's performance: the elbow where the ram's speed starts to bottleneck the CPU's OC.

As for the 16G, there is a good deal on 2x4G right now, wondered if it was worth just getting two sets for future use.

So I would have to add some voltage.. I have a lot of room left :D

Diaz, Im not sure there is a place where that happens. And if there is, its not something many(any?) worry about :). 1600Mhz low CAS and dont spend another second thinking about it. 2x4GB is about as high as I would go.

1333MHz ram is good for at least 222 bclk (minimum memory multiplier for 1156 that I have seen is 3x). That's a bit more than a slight OC :D

Stick with what you have if you aren't filling it up and being forced onto the page file.

I see, thanks for input.. I am getting an SSD and getting rid of the pagefile.. right now I have a 1G page file and I am hovering around 2G desktop, 3.5G Ram usage during gaming - dagerously close to my 4G.

-D

I wouldnt bother removing your page file. You are getting an SSD which is perfect for a page file. With 8GB, still make it 1GB.

Sometimes running with no PF is ok and you dont run in to issues, other times, it wont work. Since you are not going to see any real world gains from it in all likelyhood, why take the chance and remove it?

I wouldnt bother removing your page file. You are getting an SSD which is perfect for a page file. With 8GB, still make it 1GB.

Sometimes running with no PF is ok and you dont run in to issues, other times, it wont work. Since you are not going to see any real world gains from it in all likelyhood, why take the chance and remove it?

Sounds good, thanks :thup:

I agree with what Earthdog said on all accounts. Never completely remove your page file. Some programs still prefer to have page file to work with; even with there's still plenty of RAM available. Especially 32-bit programs.

I personally set a static 768-768MB Page file for my system.. Why that number? No idea. I just like it LOL.

Sounds like a size upgrade might help, I don't think I'd go all the way to 16GB though. 8GB should be more than enough till it's time to upgrade everything anyway.

Back