• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4x1 GB kingston DDR2 Configuration?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

giorgos

Registered
Hello
I have a question and if overclockers don't have the answer, then nobody haven't! :D

I have 4x1 GB 1066MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM ram Kingston KHX8500D2K2/2GN
(Standard 128M X 64 Non-ECC 1066MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM DDR2, 2.2V, CL5, Gold)
and CPU-Z says DRAM frequency 401.0 MHz. Is this ok? My memory's running at their maximum speed or what configuration I have to do?

Motherboard: Asus M3A78 Pro
Windows 7 ultimate x64

PS: Sorry for my english! I hope I was clear! :)

Attachments

• cpuz.jpg
    cpuz.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 106
It's currently running at DDR2-800 (the DDR speed is twice the MHz speed listed in CPUz).
This is less than the DDR2-1066 that it is rated at, though you're not going to be able to tell the difference between 800 and 1066 without running benchmarks.

Personally I would leave it how it is, as it is working for you at the moment.

My friend @Bobnova thanks for your answer! It (seems) works fine now but I would like to take the max from my memory.

In the BIOS settings and in memory clock mode I have those options: [Auto] & [Manual].

The configuration options for manual: [400 MHz] , [533 MHz] , [667 MHz] , [800 MHz] , [1066 MHz].
So if the DDR speed is twice the MHz speed listed in CPUz, I should set [533 MHz] in BIOS, right? (533 MHz x 2 = 1066 DDR2)

What about the other settings?
FSB : DRAM 1:2 ---> I don't think I can change it
CAS Latency (CL) 5.0 clocks ---> I think it's ok (max BIOS 7 CLK)
RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD) 5 clocks ---> I think it's ok (max BIOS 6 CLK)
RAS Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks ---> I think it's ok (max BIOS 6 CLK)
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks ---> This is the maximum value of my BIOS
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 24 clocks ---> Maximum value of my BIOS 26 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T ---> I don't know if I can change it because I can't find it in BIOS

Give 1066MHz a try.
You may nee to raise the CPU-NB voltage a bit to compensate, most AMD chips are officially rated for 1066mhz only when using two sticks of ram. Four may or may not work, you won't hurt anything playing with it, but you may end up having to reset the bios and start over again.

The Asus BIOS will list the memory options in DDR2, so [1066 MHz] is the correct choice.

You will likely need to increase the DRAM voltage too if you increase the memory to DDR2-1066. Please post a picture of the CPUz SPD tab.

:welcome:

I have no idea about DRAM voltage so please explain me what values I must set :thup:

Attachments

• cpuz1.jpg
    cpuz1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 79
Bad news :cry:
When I changed DRAM Frequency [1066 MHz] the system can't boot.
So I thought the DDR speed is twice the MHz speed listed in CPUz and I set [533 MHz] in BIOS and CPU-z show me the attachments results which I think they are not right, and I return to the Auto settings again :confused:

Attachments

• 533-1.jpg
    533-1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 533-2.jpg
    533-2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 79
The bios is listing the DDR speed, so what it calls 1066 is really 533, and what it calls 533 is really 266.

Running the ram at 1066 will require giving the ram 2.2v and probably require more voltage for the CPU's memory controller, generally called the "CPU-NB" or "CPU Northbridge".
Assuming, of course, it can run it that fast in the first place with four sticks.

With Memory Clock Mode set to 1066MHz, adjust the DRAM Voltage to 2.2V (Ai Overclocking option needs to be set to Manual), and the 4 primary DRAM timings to 5-5-5-15 (DRAM Timing Mode option needs to be set to DCT 0). The 4 primary timings are called CAS Latency (CL), tRCD, tRP, and tRAS; manually adjust those to 5-5-5-15 in that order, and leave all of the sub-timings on Auto. And under DRAM Timing Configuration, adjust the 2T Mode option from Auto to Enabled.

redduc900 I just have set everything as you told me but unfortunately the system couldn't boot. In a second try, after reset I take BSOD error 0x0000001E.
I return to auto options and to the first screenshot of CPU-z at the top of this page :cry:

My cpu is AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3 GHz

Again the system can't boot

The value for the DDR2 at BIOS is 1067 MHz and not 1066. I know this is not important but I just say it to be clear

With these settings the system boot and CPU-z show this values
I think this time the memory is running properly at [534.7 MHz] (they have answer me to the asus forum that the CPU-Z DRAM Frequency is the half of DDR speed, as @Bobnova told me before)
The FSB : DRAM 3:8 is ok or it should be 1:2?

Attachments

• cpuz-1mem.jpg
    cpuz-1mem.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 70
  • cpuz-2spd.jpg
    cpuz-2spd.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Yes, the DRAM frequency is currently running at DDR2-1066 3:8 FSB : DRAM ratio, so at the default HT Ref. clock of 200MHz; (200 x 8) / 3 = 533; 533 x 2 = 1066. According to the Kingston site those modules are rated to run at 5-5-5-15, but the EPP #1 timings are 5-6-6-15 at 533MHz according to the SPD tab in CPU-Z. Try to at least lower the CAS from 6 to 5 (5-6-6-15 / 18) by increasing the NB voltage (Northbridge Voltage setting in the BIOS) like Bobnova suggested. The default voltage is 1.1V, so try increasing it to 1.2-1.3V w/ the CAS set to 5.

I set CAS 5 and tRAS 15 and Northbridge voltage from default auto to 1.2 - 1.3V but the system fail to boot. I tryed different combinations of those settings tRAS 15/18, NB voltage 1.2V/1.3V but again fail to boot.

Now I'm running the previously settings: 6-6-6-18 and Northbridge voltage to auto.

Then just leave the timings at 6-6-6-18 w/ vNB set to Auto, or increase the DRAM voltage to 2.3V w/ vNB set to 1.2-1.3V and CAS set to 5. You'll just have to experiment, but make sure to boot to Memtest86+ installed to a flash drive, and verify those settings are stable.

Back