• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Noob needs help with RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Huddo

Hi i just got 16gb Of Ram and my computer says i have 16gb (8gb usable)

My mother board: ASUS P7P55D-E LX

Well whats the MHz on em, and how many sticks? (4x4GB?) If you have Windows 7, something about the x86 *version?*( which is a directory in your computer which usually stores games and apps of the sort) only being able to use 4GB RAM but the x64 version (Which makes no sense to me) seems to be able to utilize up to 16 GB of RAM. I will say out of my experience that 16GB RAM is way too much unless you plan on running HUGE, and i mean HUGE applications. Odds are that you computer will never 100% use all of it. However, i did see this video on youtube once that had this Benchmarking computer that had like 24 cores and 32GB RAM ect.. i would google it or search it out on youtube, might find something there thats useful.

I am using Four 4gb Ram DDR3 sticks Says NB frequency is 2407.7mhz, DRAM 650+ With windows home premium With max of 16gb. I have heard a setting in bios Dose can change it but i can't seem to find the setting for it.

A 32bit system can address 2^32 = 4,294,967,296 or 4GB of RAM minus some overhead. This includes whatever VRAM is on your GPU.

A 64bit system can theoretically address 2^64 or 18 Exabytes of RAM :shock:. That is 18 Billion GB of RAM. Any limitations, like windows, thats less than that is a limitation of that OS or machine hardware

You may have a stick not seated correctly, a bad stick, or a bad motherboard. Start with the cheap option and make sure all your ram is seated in the slots

I have pulled out the ram sticks and Bios still says 8gb.. Could my link width Be doing this? Or not enough voltage For the Dram? Still trying to figure this out. ((Link width Says x8
and x16 max supported. Could this be the reason?

I have pulled out the ram sticks and Bios still says 8gb.. Could my link width Be doing this? Or not enough voltage For the Dram? Still trying to figure this out. ((Link width Says x8
and x16 max supported. Could this be the reason?

x8 and x16 sounds like you're looking at PCI-E link width. (which is not ram related)

That mobo should support 16GB ram though

Need to know exactly what you did with your ram. You need to find out if you have a bad stick, or possibly a bad DIMM slot on the mobo. Its a process of elimination that only takes a few minutes.

Pull all the ram out but leave one stick in the first slot. Boot. If it does boot, shut down. Do the same thing in the next three slots with that same stick. If it boots with the same stick in each of the 4 slots, DIMM slots and mobo are probably good.

Make sure you have the ram seated correctly every time you try. Should either barely be able to see goldfingers (row of connectors at the bottom), or not at all.

If that stick works in every slot but one, you probably have a bad DIMM slot.

If it will boot with that stick in NONE of the slots, that stick you're using might be bad. Try the same thing with one of the other sticks. If a stick works in the first slot, use that same stick in the other three.

If they all work, try booting with all 4 different sticks in slot one. If one wont boot, then that stick is probably bad.

If everything works everywhere, you know your DIMM slots and ram sticks are all good... and that is useful info

[SOLVED] I fix the problem After i got a friend around. i didn't not notice There was a piece of with tap over one of the slots on the ram piece. As We tested then one by one. Thanks for the help Guys.

Back