• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Ram temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z.snafu

Registered
I just have a quick question.
If I want to decently overclock (raise the voltage) my ddr3, would it drastically raise the temps enough to need water blocks on my sticks?

I know, this is pretty general. I'm not looking for anything specific. Maybe anecdotal experience?

For the most part water cooling DRAM modules isn't necessary, because they normally don't get hot enough to require the extra cooling. Good case ventilation w/ decent heat spreaders are normally all that's required when overclocking. If you're not supplying an inordinate amount of Vddq w/ extremely high DRAM frequencies like when benching, then the extra cooling isn't necessary. Also consider the max. safe operating temp. of ~ 85ºC / 185ºF set by most RAM manufacturers.

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for! Is there a way to get the ram temp? Will CPUz give it? It's slowly downloading now otherwise I wouldnt ask.

There isn't any software available that can read the temp. of the module(s). DRAM modules don't have embedded thermistors like CPUs, therefore you'd need to use something like an IR thermometer or a surface mounted thermistor to read the surface temp.

Back