• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ordered the wrong RAM!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

michaelking

Registered
Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104118
-Triple channel kit
-DDR 1600

Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130582

Okay, the RAM I ordered is (semi) compatible with the motherboard I also ordedered. What I was wondering was, is there
somehow I can underclock ther RAM speed? That way the RAM will not be running at OC speed. Also, can I decrease the
voltage on the RAM to match what my MOBO is rated for (1.5V)? One more thing, if all of the aforementioned is possible,
could I just run two sticks instead of the three? That way I can use it in dual channel mode @ 4GB's, which my MOBO
supports. Otherwise, I'll just have to wait until I receive the order, wait for an RMA, pay for S&H, send it back, pay
for the restocking fee, and then wait for a new set of memory to be sent to me. There's gotta be a way to accomplish this
without sending it back.

Thanks,
Mike

Your motherboard will run that RAM fine. But only run 2 sticks to get dual channel. You've ordered a triple channel kit for a dual channel board...

Run everything at the RAM's rated.

Don't try to run 1.5v. You'd most likely have to drop the RAM's timing/speed to even try it.. Just run it at 1.65v. It'll be fine. (should be anyway..)

It's all a matter of perspective. Don't tell people you bought a triple channel kit, tell them you bought a dual channel kit with a built in spare :thup:

... and you future proofed for when you're ready to start overclocking :)

You'll be fine with that kit. RAM is so cheap now, by the time you sent it back and returned it, you'd be out more cash than just keeping the whole kit.

You could also go ahead and buy another stick and run quad channel.

... and you future proofed for when you're ready to start overclocking :)

You'll be fine with that kit. RAM is so cheap now, by the time you sent it back and returned it, you'd be out more cash than just keeping the whole kit.

You could also go ahead and buy another stick and run quad channel.

1155 only supports dual channel.. ^^.

I agree with CompuTamer. You just bought RAM for when you upgrade the rest of your RIG. There's nothing wrong with it. When you buy RAM that is faster than what your motherboard is rated for, it just won't run at the high speed but will rather run at the speed that your motherboard is rated for. You're not using the full potential but you have comfort knowing that someday you can.

Back