• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Perplexed about 64bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mayagrafix

My old Dell Inspiron 530 supposedly came with a 64 bit enabled dual core chip. I am running Ubuntu 64 bit OS from CD and still only use 3.2 gig of RAM (of 4 gigs installed). What gives?

do you have integrated graphics enabled?

yes. I have the GPU out while I'm troubleshooting some other issues with Vista OS on the Hard Disk.

So using integrated graphics limits the amount of RAM?

Thanks.

It doesn't limit the amount of RAM, it steals it. Since the on board GPU doesn't have it's own memory it use system RAM which lowers your total available memory.

At a linux command line, do uname -a and paste the result into a post. If you are using a 64-bit kernel it will say.

Just like my old HP. I put in 4GB (2 X 2GB) RAM, install Win 7 X64 but I only see 3.19GB. I looked up the manual online and found that the HP was only spec'd for max 2GB RAM. Don't remember which app I used to check but the fact was that 1 slot was showing 2GB and the other was only 1 something GB. So I was above HP's spec by over 1GB. Thought that was okay.

Last edited:
Some older motherboards have a setting called remap memory that you have to turn on, so that you can use all 4 gigs of ram. Some older motherboards also dont have this setting, and you are limited to what a 32bit os would see. A family member of mine had an asus board like that, even after I moved him to a 64bit windows, he was stuck at 3.2ish gigs of ram, and nothing short of a new motherboard would fix that.

Back