• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i850 vs sis 645/961

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The chipset i850 is the first Pentium 4 chipset and provides suport to Rambus Memory, clocked at 400 Mhz, giving a bandwidth of 3.2 Gb.

The SiS 645 is one of the new pentium 4 chipsets, which suports DDR tecnology, particulaty the new DDR333, giving a bandwidth of 2.7 Gb.

As you can see, the 850 provides more bandwidth and therefore, more performance. On the other side has a higher latency and is more expensive.

I'd personally buy the 645, or maybe the VIA P4X266A (DDR266 -> 2.1 Gb), because in my opinion it has a beter performance/price ratio. But remember, if you want the best performance, i850 is your choice.

Look at Tom's hardware and read some reviews, it may help you.

People gotta remember that the PCI bus is far superior on the 645. And you got the 533mb/s Mutoil between North and South bridge, less chance to bottleneck components!

Glad I went with the 645 - Epox 4SDA+ with 1.6A the board was $99 with raid and every o/c option you could want except full divider control. Out of the box been running the [email protected] with stock cooling and prime 95 running for 72 hours without error. Even looped 3dmark while running prime without problem.

Back