• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 or 16

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steelfire

Registered
I am sorry in advance I am sure this topic has been beaten to a bloody death. I recently installed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231431

Should I get a second kit or will it never be used.

This is a gaming comp:
- Multi-box MMO's
- FPS
- FPS MMO's (Donno the official term for BF3 and COD)

I have the cash to burn on another kit but the question is will my computer ever use more then 8 anyway. No use in spending money on something that will never be used.

I am sorry in advance I am sure this topic has been beaten to a bloody death. I recently installed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231431

Should I get a second kit or will it never be used.

This is a gaming comp:
- Multi-box MMO's
- FPS
- FPS MMO's (Donno the official term for BF3 and COD)

I have the cash to burn on another kit but the question is will my computer ever use more then 8 anyway. No use in spending money on something that will never be used.

In day to day normal program usage, no, you system won't really use or need more then 8GiB of ram.

However, that also depends on the games you intend to multi-box. Some mmo's are featherweights, while others can easily use the near maximum a 32bit program can use (3GiB of ram) per instance. So it depends really on what mmo's you intend to multi-box. Just check in Task Manager how much ram the program is using (after you've been running it for a while so that it has had a chance to load most of the resources it needs) and multiply that by however many instances you plan on running of it.

Also, on a Win7 64bit system, more ram will help with faster load speeds when opening the same program over and over because of Superfetch if you're still using mechanical drives (will more then likely help even with SSD's). I'll leave that up to you to decide if the cost of an extra set of 8GiB of ram sticks would be worth it.

Realistically; 8gb is plenty for any game out there

Performance-wise; You might notice some improvements here and there with 16gb. I just ordered 16G to be done with it, and sleep like a baby at night. It also gives me a warm and fuzzy. My work computer has 16gb ram and its nice to see 10gb ram free at any time. :D

-D

Back